Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've bought a JK used, and while I love it, I've come to the conclusion after inspecting all my other steering related parts (which are all in good form), that I need to adjust my castor angle or I need an alignment. This is where my limited knowledge and ability end, and I was hoping someone could help me with this. I have wandering steering at higher speeds, the jeep veers off if I hit a bump or wave in the road and I have to fight to keep it going straight, etc etc.

Needless to say, I just want this issue fixed, haha.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
879 Posts
2 things you should check: Preferred caster is +4.2%. This can be adjusted +/- with adjustable lower control arms.

Your steering drag link should be parallel to your track bar. If they are not parallel you will get what is known as bump steer.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I had the same issues. Previous Owner lifted it 2" with stock control arms and tracking bars. I added Rancho geometry correction brackets and the steering squirreliness went away.

The giveaway for me was when cornering; my steering wheel would not return to center without manual input. Now after making a turn, if I let go of the wheel, the steering re-centers (more or less). Highway behavior much, much better!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine returns to center when steering.

I took it to Network Alignments and Brakes. Turns out the previous owner neglected to ever do an alignment and I had severe toe in. I mean, it's no sports car, but has improved worlds better and is no longer stressful to drive.

The barely charged me anything, no inspection fee, either. And they checked every part of my suspension to boot. Definitely recommend them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts