Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some research on new cat converters to replace mine that I thought was bad until today. I was poking around and found a crack in a weld along the bottom of the cat that I'm almost 100% sure is the cause of the rattle. Since this isn't internal and is just a broken weld can I fix the crack instead of buying a new cat? Also, if I can weld this, is there any alternative to welding? Like an apoxy or some sort of clamp?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Looks like you for sure found the issue. Man, I don't know how a cold weld is going to hold up though. I've used JB Weld on quite a few things and it has worked wonders, although, I don't know if it would be able to hold up to the heat that is produced on an exhaust system. Do you know anyone that has a welder? Or possibly a little mom and pop shop that might be willing to try to weld it as opposed to sell you a whole new exhaust system? If not, research the specs of the different types of cold welds and see what the temp ranges are and go from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts