Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I can see there are 3 cats on my 04 TJ. Two before the Y juction and one after. I noticed that there is one O2 sensor before and after each cat that is before the Y junction but there is no O2 sensor for the third cat. My question is..Can I remove that 3rd. cat and not run into any problems? I just stuck a flowmaster under it this eve. and noticed that cats. The muffler sounds great too. Whoever had the flowmaster before me had blown their engine and shot a bunch of oil through it so it smoked like a chimney when I first fired it up. It was kinda funny watching the subdivision fill with smoke..lol Anyways any help in this area would be great.

·
Administrator
12,602 Posts
I will guess the third cat is located near the t-case? Can you run without it, most likey, but its there for a reason. The modern day cats for the most part don't put a damper on power. so I would just put it back on and be on the safe side.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I havent taken it off yet but it is by the T-case. I know they arent supposed to be resrtictive but Mopar cats are pieces of shit. I had to replace the one on my dodge ram 3 times and the one on my buddies dakota 4 times and on the 5th we just took it out completely. They fed us a line of BS at the dealership trying to say we ran the wong kind of oil, but the last time I checked, you dont put oil in the exhaust.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
You know if you search back through the threads the whole CAT / No CAT discussion comes us every few motnhs (or so it seems).

The bottom line is we and the generations to come all have to breathe the air on our fair planet. The CATS are there for a reason. I can garuntee if automakers didn't have to put them in they wouldn't (a few $$ adds up fast).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts