Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, pretty novice question here, but I am redoing my exhaust and I am curious if it matters how much space is between my 3rd catalytic converter and the muffler.

The factory and direct fits butt up against one another, but just curious as I replace them do I have to keep them right next to one another or could I have a couple of feet of exhaust pipe between them as I didn't purchase direct fit parts. I know I will have to keep the cat before the muffler in the flow.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Does your state have required Smog inspections? In CA the cats must be installed in their original configuration which includes location. If you don't have inspections you are ok

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does your state have required Smog inspections? In CA the cats must be installed in their original configuration which includes location. If you don't have inspections you are ok
I live in VA, we have annual vehicle inspections but smog is not included in that inspection. I did call the mechanic I take it in to get the inspections done every year and he informed me that I did have to keep the 3rd cat (my original thought was just remove it completely) but didn't tell me it had to remain in exact same spot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts