Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so the stealership states I need a new cat for my 01 Wrangler. They suggested to replace all 3 (pre-cats and main) at a cost of $1300. But my question is if the O2 sensors are only monitoring the pre-cats, how does the main cat come into play if there are no sensors coming off that converter????:confused: Why cant I just replace the pre-cats and put a straight pipe in place of the main cat? Any help???
Thanks

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Emissions laws... the visual inspection ( if your county/state has them ) will fail for altered emissions.

I have seen vehicles fail visual for not having a stock air cleaner... stupid? You bet.... but some aftermarkets don't have the hookups for emissions on them.

If you are not throwing codes ( CEL) for O2's.... don't bother replacing the downpipe that has the pre-cats. Mileage would dictate if you really should though. I have 120K and 1 bad pre-cat that I will replace myself for $113. No sense for me to spend $300-$400 on a downpipe for just one pre-cat.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey its throwing code P0432 So I think bank 2 cat is bad. Looks like a pain in the rear to change. Not sure I could do it. It has 166,000 on it. I'm just trying to decide if I should replace all 3 cats or just the pre-cats????!!!!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
IF you have the tools and ab skills.. you can change the pre-cat.... BANK 2 P0432

Here is a great post...

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/49-...t-on-2001-4-0-fixed-my-p0432-code-184284.html

Now he lists a universal cat that he used for $49 on Ebay....

I found a universal that is constructed EXACTLY like our pre-cats... but its $100.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-54974/

I will be doing this very soon. If you decide to do both... make sure you do one COMPLETELY before doing the 2nd one...making sure the orientation is spot on ( with the angled outlet )each time with the one I listed.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Anybody have luck with the cheaper than OEM aftermarket cats though? I put one on my wife's Honda and it had the CEL lit from then on. Same code "inefficient cat parformance" and I got tired of erasing it. Still had the CEL on when we sold it a few years later. POS.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rockauto.com has both cats and y-pipe for $265.00 Seems it might be easier to replace both at the same time?!? I dont have a welder to weld in just one cat. So I might go the Rockauto route. Just seems like a pain to get at the 4 bolts in the manifold. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Rock Auto has the best prices for sure.... on the down pipe.

The bolts are a PITA but can be done.... just take your time and have a little patience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts