Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've come to the conclusion that my rear bank cat convertor is bad. I have been dealing with a PO431 code. I first replaced the downstream o2 sensor and the code came back. I then replaced the upstream sensor... and the code came back. And well the only thing between those little guys is a little cat convertor. The dealer wants $850 for a OEM and the only aftermarket I have found was $925. (really??). It seems with my 05 LJ you have to replace the whole cat system (both mini cats and the main rear cat) at least thats been my conclusion. Oh and I just turned 100k miles so warranty is out the window
So I guess my question is does anybody know a muffler shop thats not going to bend me over for a cat system somewhat close to the 210 & 605 area?
Or am I missing something? BTW I just got the "due for smog check" registration letter in the mail.

Thanks in advance-Dave

·
Registered
801 Posts
Cats ain't cheap man.

If you go aftermarket make sure they are legal in Ca, most arent.

I'd start calling wrecking yards or track down shops that do motor swaps that might have extras laying around. Motech, jeep speed, turn key, etc.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Cat

Last year my cat was shot, went with Mega Flow cat from local
muffler shop up here in Northern Ca. All smog legal, and
was about $300 complete install. TJ runs a ton better now.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
My buddy took his Jeep to Vegas and got a cat installed for $155, came home and passed his smog test the following day. I'm not suggesting that you do anything illegal, just sharing what he did. He probably left another $300 on the Black Jack tables, but his registration is current again.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I found a muffler shop here in Pomona who is doing it for 350 and just changing the mini cat not the whole thing like the dealer would like to do.

Driving to Vegas and getting it done would end up costing me way more then the 350. Drinking, gambling and general screwing off don't come cheap!!!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
So I found a muffler shop here in Pomona who is doing it for 350 and just changing the mini cat not the whole thing like the dealer would like to do.

Driving to Vegas and getting it done would end up costing me way more then the 350. Drinking, gambling and general screwing off don't come cheap!!!

:bop:
But, you are forgetting that "two birds, with one stone" aspect. If you do the math right, you are breaking even with the dealership price, and getting a free get-away. All you have to do then is talk shop while you are in town, and you can write the entire trip off as a business expense. Would you like me to introduce you to my tax guy?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems legit to me. What could go wrong? "why, yes your Honor... I was looking at expanding my business in to Las Vegas...." :)

·
Registered
997 Posts
I had the same code earlier this year...
I was stuck buying the entire setup (3 cats). I didn't find anyone who could weld one just one cat for a decent price.
Also, my worry was that if one cat went bad then the others would soon follow suit.

I found a local dealer with a set on the shelf.
Got them for less than $700 so went ahead and replaced all 3.

_

1 - 8 of 8 Posts