Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so its 3 am. I'm tucked away in bed, BOOM, thunder I'm thinking, OK a little bit of rain...oh nay nay, I think Niagra Falls had too much water and sent some down here.

So I had the soft top on but all the windows off and the driver side window was rolled down, it's what we jeep owners call air conditioning. So as I lay in bed, light goes off in my head, "MY WINDOWS DOWN!" :facepalm:. I fly outta bed and grab my keys and run down stairs and open the garage. I run to my Jeep just sitting there in the rain, she's probably thinking "its about time someone f**kin washes me", I hop inside instantly my underwear (yes my underwear) becomes soaked :banghead:. I start her up and pull her in to the dry cover of the garage. The one time I don't look at the fricken frack weather around here my jeep goes for a damn swim! :9lame:

I obviously noticed the 1 inch of standing water in both the front and behind areas of the seats. At this point I'm kicking myself for not pulling that damn carpet out sooner. I then continued to pull the appropriate drain plugs to drain my jeep of its on board water supply, thinking god she wasn't the titanic, but then again she wasn't parked in an ocean only looked like she was. After drying off the inside of the jeep, steering wheel, center counsel, shifter, e-brake, gauge cluster and the dash. I stand in the garage soaking wet looking at my Jeep taking a very long leak on my garage floor. All I can do is laugh at the situation. I turn off the garage light and shut the garage door and say good night. I go to the bathroom and then dry myself off and return to bed but not before I get on here and tell my 3am (literally) story. Its now 4:16 Here I am still typing to a bunch of strangers all of whom are too familiar with what I just typed. Have a good night, and happy Jeeping!

PS. Here's an actual question - Aside from just waiting for it to dry, with the carpet being in there, I should probably take it out for best drying results correct? Is there anything I should do? Suggestions would be great as this is the first time my jeep has gotten a little (and I use "little" very very loosely) wet inside.

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Park it outside tomorrow if it's gona be warm/dry to let it finish airing out. It will be fine. Hope you had a fun night! :rofl:
Spose to rain some more today. Windows are still off, trash bag seat covers are now on LOL. Im going to take her home after work and get the shop vac out.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Yep, been there done that!! Fun huh? LOL. The key I've found is to keep air moving and the doors etc open overnight or when it isn't being driven. It's the best way I've found to prevent the sour smell from forming. Once it's in, it's sooooooo hard to get out. I use box fans and a few large towels to sop up the carpet both on top AND underneath. Good luck!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Might be time to take out the carpet and bed line the jeep. My biggest worries when it rains, are the electronics. I have had a few turn signal switches go bad and have fried a few stereos.
Waking up at night to thunder and rain sucks. It has happened to all of us and will continue to happen. Just when you think it's ok to leave the top off, it rains!!!!
Keep the plugs out and leaving the carpet out helps the water drain faster when it does rain

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Thats funny, I just got caught with the top down visiting my folks yesterday. The forecast called for "NO RAIN", the sky was clear and sunny that morning and an hour later rain... Lesson learned, don't trust the weather channel, trust your eyes and even then mother nature throws curve balls. BUT morale of the story: I know how to put the top on faster then lightning now LMAO

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might be time to take out the carpet and bed line the jeep. My biggest worries when it rains, are the electronics. I have had a few turn signal switches go bad and have fried a few stereos.
Waking up at night to thunder and rain sucks. It has happened to all of us and will continue to happen. Just when you think it's ok to leave the top off, it rains!!!!
Keep the plugs out and leaving the carpet out helps the water drain faster when it does rain
I am in the process of repainting the dash. So I had the center part and the part by the winshield off. I'm sure rain got into there but so far everything is OK. I think I will take the carpet out when I get home. Its still a soggy mess from my half ass dry job I did this morning.

Oh fun times!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I am in the process of repainting the dash. So I had the center part and the part by the winshield off. I'm sure rain got into there but so far everything is OK. I think I will take the carpet out when I get home. Its still a soggy mess from my half ass dry job I did this morning.

Oh fun times!
Try using a wet/dry shop vac if you carpet is out of the jeep. Might help reduce the mildew factor...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try using a wet/dry shop vac if you carpet is out of the jeep. Might help reduce the mildew factor...
Thanks. I think I will do that. That's one thing im worried about is a smell. I had a tj 5 or 6 years ago and it got wet and I let it self dry BIG mistake.

I don't know why I ever got rid of my tj either it was great. But now I'm back in another tj (my 4th jeep) and I'm lovin it.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Thanks. I think I will do that. That's one thing im worried about is a smell. I had a tj 5 or 6 years ago and it got wet and I let it self dry BIG mistake.

I don't know why I ever got rid of my tj either it was great. But now I'm back in another tj (my 4th jeep) and I'm lovin it.
NP, afterwards you might consider sprinkling something that kills mildew. I'm not really sure what BUT I'm sure someone else might be able to chime in. When I recarpeted my apartment, we used baking soda under before putting in the new so the smells were nullified... not sure if the same process would work here but I would try after it dries out IF you have that problem. Hopefully not (knock on wood) lol

·
Registered
607 Posts
Rip out carpet and bedliner floor. Never have to worry about carpet. I had a very similar thing the other night. (Soft top) door windows open, rear window open. I had it parked in the driveway and I'm sitting in my recliner, watching TV and I hear what I thought was the fan in the window, (one of those duel fans), I'm thinking it's a little cool to have that one. Then I look and realize that it off. Then it hit me. Great that's rain. My Jeep and my Harley are both outside. I go out and push the bike into the garage. COLD HARD RAIN you know the kind that takes your breath away. Then I back the Jeep in. Unfortunately in the back of the jeep were several notebooks that my other half had bought for school, (she's a teacher), well out of the 30 or so notebooks we lost about half. Good news is no carpet and most drainplugs are already out. So drained quickly and no mold or smell of any kind.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
NP, afterwards you might consider sprinkling something that kills mildew. I'm not really sure what BUT I'm sure someone else might be able to chime in. When I recarpeted my apartment, we used baking soda under before putting in the new so the smells were nullified... not sure if the same process would work here but I would try after it dries out IF you have that problem. Hopefully not (knock on wood) lol
You can mix a little bleach with water in a spray bottle and put a light mist on carpet backs, wipe off, let dry. Will kill the mold spores, be careful of painted surfaces and cloth fabric front surfaces

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Just learned we have drain plugs, where would they be located on an 01 TJ? This is a great forum and you all are awesome. Thanks for all info, kris

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just learned we have drain plugs, where would they be located on an 01 TJ? This is a great forum and you all are awesome. Thanks for all info, kris
They are on the driver and passenger sides in front and behind the seats under the carpet :) ain't it great when u find something new on a jeep.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
just pull your carpet you,ll see them, and while your carpet is out hang it and shop vac the crap out of it,,after you get the floors dry would be a good time to bedline the floor even if you plan to put your carpet back in after it is dry..( i used rustoleum bed liner) i like the texture of it, and i dont have carpet in it and it,s holding up great and cleans up good even after some serious wheein...

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
They are on the driver and passenger sides in front and behind the seats under the carpet :) ain't it great when u find something new on a jeep.
Sure is, thanks got the info. Will start on carpet / bed liner when I get back home to zvirginia

1 - 17 of 17 Posts