Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 jeep wrangler x that if I hit a bump wrong then my jeep will develop the Death Wobble. and I was l was looking at my front suspension yesterday before work making sure that everything was tight and I noticed that my sway bar links are maxed (I have 3" lift) and that the bushings in my front shocks are very well worn I need to know which one of will cause the Death Wobble so I can get it fixed soon please and thank you :).

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I have an 03 jeep wrangler x that if I hit a bump wrong then my jeep will develop the Death Wobble. and I was l was looking at my front suspension yesterday before work making sure that everything was tight and I noticed that my sway bar links are maxed (I have 3" lift) and that the bushings in my front shocks are very well worn I need to know which one of will cause the Death Wobble so I can get it fixed soon please and thank you :).
Neither.
You have a worn/loose part or multiple loose parts in your suspension/steering.

You cannot tell by simply looking or feeling with everything stationary. Do a dry steering test (described below) to locate any worn parts. Track bar movement is the most common source, followed by tie rod ends.

Dry Steering Test

Do a dry steering test by having someone sit in your Jeep (with the tires on the ground) and continuously turn the steering wheel back and forth from about the 11 to 1 position while you lay under the front end and watch and feel for any lateral play in any steering or suspension joints. Check both track bar ends, the tie rod and drag link ends. Also check control arm bushings.
Although rotational movement in the tie rod and drag link is normal and necessary, there should be no end movement at all in the joints. There also should be no movement in the track bar

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
It's not always a loose part that triggers or allows DW to fully develop. My '97 TJ was only a year old when it had its only truly fully developed bouts of DW which I finally tracked down to one of my front wheels having lost its wheel balancing weights The TJ's solid front axle is susceptible to DW as are Ford, Dodge, and Chevy trucks and it often only takes an imperfectly balanced tire to trigger it.

But for older Jeeps, worn parts are often a major contributing reason DW is developing. Definitely do the dry steering test as described by Water Dpg above. Also get your tires PERFECTLY balanced. Not all tire shops will take the time to really get the tires balanced perfectly, they only get them to where they consider it good enough which is never good enough for a TJ.

And that "Cure" by Roughstuff is just a gimmick, it won't cure any actual problems in the TJ's front end and it won't even come close to helping with the subject of this thread, DW.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts