Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been talking to a guy about my radio. I have the Cobra 29 LX, peaked and tuned, but I can't hear anything out of the built in speaker or my external speaker. I have to be sitting still with the jeep off and I can barely hear it. He suggested that I get an amplifier to help with this.

I'm not a big CB guy, so for those who are, does this make sense? Anything else I could try to help me hear.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well I'm about to instal a cb in my jeep soon and I saw that for the external speaker just run a AUX cord out of it and if you have an aftermarket radio with an Aux plug just make your radio the external speaker. I'm probably going to run and aux cord through the dash and right to the radio.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Amplified external speakers are available. I wouldn't try running the speaker level output of the CB into either headphone or line level inputs of a stereo without a transformer in line.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Your Cobra just has a problem... it'd cost less to replace it with a good CB like a Uniden Pro 520XL than mess with an amplified speaker. I've lost all my past faith in Cobra CBs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had assumed perhaps you were just hard of hearing and not a problem with the radio, in which case it shouldn't cost more than $40-$45 to repair your radio at a shop.

Btw most of the cobra line of CBs are designed and built by Uniden. The Cobra 29 is identical to the uniden PC78, 25/PC68, 148/grant, pro 510/520s share the same board as the cobra 19.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your Cobra just has a problem... it'd cost less to replace it with a good CB like a Uniden Pro 520XL than mess with an amplified speaker. I've lost all my past faith in Cobra CBs.
I really hoped that it wasn't this.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
I really hoped that it wasn't this.
At only $40-50 for a Uniden Pro-520XL (or similar price for a similar quality Midland CB), that's not bad at all. An amplified speaker that worked as desired wouldn't be much less than that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts