Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my CB and Antenna installed and have no clue where to begin getting it to work properly. That's where you guys come in hopefully!

I have a Uniden Pro 520 w/ an Astatic powered mic and a 3' Firestik antenna mounted on the back of my tub next to my tail lamp.

Any suggestions on CB settings, antenna tuning, and grounding would be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! I am as green as they come when it comes to CB's

Thanks guys!
image-1048811415.jpg
image-553704387.jpg
image-3408651067.jpg
image-2109320759.jpg

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
What is your current SWR?

You're going to want to weather-proof the stud etc. Buy some Super 33+ electrical tape. It outlasts regular electrical tape. Wrap the PL-259 connector where it connects with the UHF Female socket to seal the connection from moisture/weather intrusion. You need to wrap it from the UHF Female socket through the PL-259 and an inch or so on to the coax itself. Remember to wrap it from the bottom up (with overlapping turns) so the tape forms a seal like a roof shingle. You don't want the rain to migrate into the tape wrap.

Weatherproofing Coaxial Connectors - YouTube

The weather will quickly eat away at the stud/mount otherwise. Your setup looks pretty good actually.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Go to fire stick's site and check out the tech section. Will tell you all you need to know.

Until you tune your CB, DO NOT USE IT.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You just have to make sure of 2 things
1. That the mount is properly grounded. You can use a volt meter for this. You have it mounted to the body panel not sure if its grounded. It needs to contact steel, the frame underneath or rap wire around the pl259 and then bolt to frame
Do I need a dedicated ground for my CB antenna? - JeepForum.com

2. You must tune the cb with an swr
How to Adjust your SWR using an SWR Meter.

For proper use those are basically what needs to happen.

By unscrewing you antena it will tune and swr would tell you witch way to go

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alrighty, so after establishing that I had a good ground, I just got done tweaking my SWR. I was able to get a 1.7 on channels 1 & 40 and a 1.3-4 on channel 19. I fiddled with it for about a half an hour. I'm not looking for range as much as I am quality for shorter trail riding scenarios. Any feedback is welcome.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is your current SWR? You're going to want to weather-proof the stud etc. Buy some Super 33+ electrical tape. It outlasts regular electrical tape. Wrap the PL-259 connector where it connects with the UHF Female socket to seal the connection from moisture/weather intrusion. You need to wrap it from the UHF Female socket through the PL-259 and an inch or so on to the coax itself. Remember to wrap it from the bottom up (with overlapping turns) so the tape forms a seal like a roof shingle. You don't want the rain to migrate into the tape wrap. Weatherproofing Coaxial Connectors - YouTube The weather will quickly eat away at the stud/mount otherwise. Your setup looks pretty good actually.
How does this look?

image-1865775115.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts