Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a lot of articles and reviews about trying to extend the range of my Uniden 510XL. The majority of articles recommend a longer (and properly tuned) antenna. I currently have an SWR of 1 at both Ch1 and Ch40 on my 3' antenna, so tuning is not an issue, but I'd definitely like to get a longer antenna on my rig.

Ignoring the practical considerations of a long antenna and the possibilities of hitting trees/obstacles, would a true 1/4 wave 102" Hustler whip be a noticeable improvement over a 60" fiberglass FireStik? Some folks say the 102" Hustler can push a 30 mile range with stock (4w) power... is that true?

5' FireStik - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X3EP7I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1J2Q0DL65CTV4&psc=1

102" Hustler IC56 - https://www.wearecb.com/102-inch-cb-whip-antenna.html

·
Registered
570 Posts
Long CB antenna + good ground beats firecrap anyday.

30miles on a 4w CB? Sure. Reliable NO. If the conditions are right (elevation, clear line of site, sun spot/time of day, etc).

·
Registered
612 Posts
The 102/108-inch quarter-wave antenna, properly tuned, will give you the best CB performance possible under any given circumstance; at the cost of losing some convenience in regards to overhead objects.

·
Registered
570 Posts
It will change the direction of radiation a bit and change effective range...it will travel up & out as opposed to along the ground. Reliable/Effective range on CBs isn't great regardless. For trail use (tight convoy), it will be fine. I use a hand-held now. Used to have a firecrap antenna on license plate mount - I've used it 1-2x in the ~10yrs I've had the Jeep. I just pulled removed the antenna. Switched to a hand-held midland unit and used that 1-2x. It depends on your crew/group - some groups use CBs, many use GMRS, some are now using ham frequencies. (Ignoring flagrant violators like Rugged Radios). I found the highways starting to get pretty quiet - much much quieter than 10-20 yrs or so ago.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,955 Posts
It's hard to significantly and reliably increase the range of a CB even with a 102" whip antenna. Not to mention not many beside offroaders run CBs any more.

Have you considered getting a Technician class ham license and installing a 50-75 watt 2m/440 MHz transceiver instead? The Tech license test is easy and is certainly not a significant obstacle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's hard to significantly and reliably increase the range of a CB even with a 102" whip antenna. Not to mention not many beside offroaders run CBs any more.

Have you considered getting a Technician class ham license and installing a 50-75 watt 2m/440 MHz transceiver instead? The Tech license test is easy and is certainly not a significant obstacle.
I've actually been considering the tech license. Maybe that's the next step. Down another rabbit hole I go!! :)

·
Knows a couple things...
48,955 Posts
I've actually been considering the tech license. Maybe that's the next step. Down another rabbit hole I go!! :)
It's a pretty easy process, the FCC made the Tech class license test easy to attract more people to ham radio.

Also, I didn't mean to sound like I was suggesting ham radio instead of a CB. I run both and use my CB 20 times for every time I use my ham radio. Having a CB is important, having that ham radio just gives you more options for getting a signal out when you need to.

Here's my setup when it was new and still clean lol. My Yaesu 2m ham radio is on top & my Uniden Pro-520XL CB is bolted to the bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Because nobody else in this thread has asked:

I've been reading a lot of articles and reviews about trying to extend the range of my Uniden 510XL.
Why do you want to extend the range of your CB radio? Are you a radio enthusiast who is into making long distance contacts with other (remote) radio enthusiasts? If so, then every little thing you can do to increase your radio range will be beneficial. In that case, I'd say go for the bigger antenna, without question.

OTOH, are you simply going for better communication with your fellow Jeepers on the trail? If so, a bigger antenna might not give you the results you want. Remember: communication is a two-way street. If all your buddies continue to use their current antenna setups, their signal isn't going to reach your giant antenna any better than it currently does... so your individual upgrade will do you little good.

(And as has already been mentioned: if distant comms are important to you, ham radio might be a better answer. :) )

·
Registered
821 Posts
Actually one big change with a 102 is the receive, you can hear everything much better.
I do have a 4ft Firestick and a 102 that I swap back and forth with a 510.
Around town and what not I stick with the 102, when I head into the woods I swap to the 4ft.
Another thing I'd recommend is swap out the stock Mic, I went with a Astatic 636 but there are several options.

CB or 11 meter band along with the 10 meter band are kinda dead right now because if the Sun and atmospheric conditions, this is going to last for another year at least.
Once it clears up I bet everyone will be jumping back on their dusty old CB.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Actually one big change with a 102 is the receive, you can hear everything much better.
Wow, that's frightening. As is with my current 3' fiberglass antenna, whenever I am on a trail at EJS in Moab (and thus forced to use my CB), I am constantly getting interference from illegal users three states away. I'd hate to pick up even more signals than I already do now.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
1 - 12 of 12 Posts