Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone here has run into this problem with the antenna clearing the tire. I got a Teraflex CB antenna mount but the angles on the bracket aren't nearly sufficient to clear the antenna from the tire. Are there other brands of brackets that are better? That vertical bend probably needs another 15 degrees.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,955 Posts
Have you not tried to simply bend the bracket enough to make it straight enough so the antenna will clear the tire?

And is that mount properly grounded? Powder coated mounts have to have the powder coating removed where they are bolted to the Jeep and on the bottom of the mount where the bottom of the antenna mount touches the bracket. Otherwise the antenna may not be tunable to a good low SWR as is required.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a teraflex mount too and frankly not too happy. The bolt provided didnt fit in the original holes and on my mount the antena has a slight slant to the left. Fortunately and unlike yours my antenna didnt have any issue from front to back.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The steel is .200 thick and I don't have a brake to bend it further. Regarding the grounding, it should be well grounded although I haven't tested it yet. I ran a 48" long, 3/8" flat copper braided ground cable near the FireRing coupler through the door panel to the body near the rear roll bar.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,955 Posts
I don't have a brake either but I wouldn't have any trouble straightening that bracket with common hand tools

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I've got a big steel mallet and a vise to. I was kind of expecting something that fit correctly. This thing was sloppily fabricated and I was wondering if this was unusual or normal.

·
Registered
678 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
My antenna mount went the exact opposite way leaning the antenna toward the window, not the tire. Mine is the stainless steel mount from TF.

I'd sure love to know how to and that so that it's level.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
I have a wheel spacer on my carrier. Works great and gives me room to close on to my AEV bumper, keep the tire low, and mount my CB antenna. Ham antenna mount is in the front.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts