Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to CB's and need some assistance. I installed my $40 RadioShack cb over the weekend. I installed it directly to the battery and it works fine. The antenna is a Firefly 3' with a tunable tip. I have it installed in the back of the Jeep with a tire carrier mount. I initially tested the setup without the antenna grounded and I was able to send and receive with okay range. So I then ran the ground for the antenna to the front of the jeep where I have my KC lights and the radio grounded. When I tested it again I got nothing. Not even static. Could the ground be interfering?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tested the SWR (not sure if I was doing it right, but I think I was) and I was getting between 1- 1.5 without the ground.

I will read through the thread.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I tested the SWR (not sure if I was doing it right, but I think I was) and I was getting between 1- 1.5 without the ground.

I will read through the thread.
If you were getting 1-1.5 on all channels. You were good and you did not need to do anything further.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,388 Posts
I am new to CB's and need some assistance. I installed my $40 RadioShack cb over the weekend. I installed it directly to the battery and it works fine. The antenna is a Firefly 3' with a tunable tip. I have it installed in the back of the Jeep with a tire carrier mount. I initially tested the setup without the antenna grounded and I was able to send and receive with okay range. So I then ran the ground for the antenna to the front of the jeep where I have my KC lights and the radio grounded. When I tested it again I got nothing. Not even static. Could the ground be interfering?
That you have problems after grounding the antenna indicates the antenna mount was misassembled which causes the antenna to be shorted to the bracket. Grounding the mounting bracket then shorts the antenna to ground.

You very likely did not get the insulated shoulder washer (see below) positioned properly, its sole job is to insulate the antenna from the antenna mount.

The antenna mount must be assembled exactly as shown below. Take note that the mounting bracket must have its powder coating ground away in a circle around underneath where the red arrows are pointing. The bottom of the antenna mount must touch bare metal. It is the top of the antenna mount that must be insulated away from the mounting bracket, which is again the job of the plastic insulating shoulder washer.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That you have problems after grounding the antenna indicates the antenna mount was misassembled which causes the antenna to be shorted to the bracket. Grounding the mounting bracket then shorts the antenna to ground.

You very likely did not get the insulated shoulder washer (see below) positioned properly, its sole job is to insulate the antenna from the antenna mount.

The antenna mount must be assembled exactly as shown below. Take note that the mounting bracket must have its powder coating ground away in a circle around underneath where the red arrows are pointing. The bottom of the antenna mount must touch bare metal. It is the top of the antenna mount that must be insulated away from the mounting bracket, which is again the job of the plastic insulating shoulder washer.
That is how I have it mounted minus the Metal Lock Washer and I have not taken off the powder coating from the mount. Instead I was running a ground wire from where the red arrows are pointing to a point on the frame of the Jeep. But when I run the ground, I receive any incoming signals. When I take the ground off I can send and receive, but the incoming fade in and out, even when the Jeep is parked.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,388 Posts
All that is still indicating the antenna is touching the mount where it shouldn't be. Can you post a couple sharp well lit close-ups of the antenna mount from the top and bottom of the mounting bracket.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay I went back and messed around some more and the SWR reading is off the charts. I will post some pictures tonight after work.

·
Registered
157 Posts
1. If signals go away when you add the ground, then you are shorting the antenna to ground. As has been stated,it is important to assemble the mount exactly as shown. The insulated shoulder washer is what keeps the antenna part from being grounded.

2. Do NOT run the antenna ground from the back of the Jeep to the front. A short good ground is what you want to keep stray RF from getting into the other electronics in the Jeep.

3. Put the metal lock washer on. It is what keeps the antenna from loosening as you drive down the road.

4. When you attach the ground wire, make sure that it doesn't touch any part of the antenna. The bracket is what is grounded, not the antenna.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts