Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what kind of adapter i need to connect this antenna to a coaxial cable?
There is no hole in the middle of the connector

·
Registered
553 Posts
Does anyone know what kind of adapter i need to connect this antenna to a coaxial cable?
There is no hole in the middle of the connector
If you've got a truckstop anywhere near you (and you do) they'll have them there. (the Antenna stud mentioned above)

But based on your post you need to do a little reading into how all this stuff needs to work together so you don't burn up your radio... There are a few basic things that are important.

Not the least of which is that your antenna needs to be properly grounded and if your mount is fully painted or powder coated (MANY ARE) you're going to need to grind that finish back where your antenna stud meets the surface, and make sure that your mount is really grounded to the vehicle frame (use your multimeter and do a continuity test from the frame to the antenna mount). You need to do that check because there is a lot of painted junk that can get in the way of a good ground. If you don't have a good ground, for instance because of hinges on the tailgate, or things like that you can run grounding ribbon to really beef up your ground to the antenna.

you should also get a SWR Meter (they are cheap and not scary at all and available at radio shack or online)... You will use this to tune your SWR for best transmission. Transmitting without tuning your SWR can damage your system (in the worst case) and at least will diminish your transmission range.

Do a little reading on the internet, all the info is out there, and it really isn't hard or expensive. But take the time to install correctly and test, and some day when you're radioing for help, we'll be able to hear you.

And if any of this sounds like a headache to you, find an installer. No point even having a CB, if its not going to be able to save your bacon on the day you need your bacon saved.

Have Fun!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you've got a truckstop anywhere near you (and you do) they'll have them there. (the Antenna stud mentioned above) But based on your post you need to do a little reading into how all this stuff needs to work together so you don't burn up your radio... There are a few basic things that are important. Not the least of which is that your antenna needs to be properly grounded and if your mount is fully painted or powder coated (MANY ARE) you're going to need to grind that finish back where your antenna stud meets the surface, and make sure that your mount is really grounded to the vehicle frame (use your multimeter and do a continuity test from the frame to the antenna mount). You need to do that check because there is a lot of painted junk that can get in the way of a good ground. If you don't have a good ground, for instance because of hinges on the tailgate, or things like that you can run grounding ribbon to really beef up your ground to the antenna. you should also get a SWR Meter (they are cheap and not scary at all and available at radio shack or online)... You will use this to tune your SWR for best transmission. Transmitting without tuning your SWR can damage your system (in the worst case) and at least will diminish your transmission range. Do a little reading on the internet, all the info is out there, and it really isn't hard or expensive. But take the time to install correctly and test, and some day when you're radioing for help, we'll be able to hear you. And if any of this sounds like a headache to you, find an installer. No point even having a CB, if its not going to be able to save your bacon on the day you need your bacon saved. Have Fun!
Can you make me a list of what i will need.. All i have right now is the antenna i mentioned above, the coax cable, and a tailgate mount plate and nothing else (connectors, stud, etc) thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I finished my install this morning and just started a thread with parts and some details.

f274/cobra-19dx-cb-kit-installation-675754.html

My Coaxial cable was too short, so i had to go to the local electronics store, picked up a pl259 connector and a Male to Female coaxial cable just to speed things up and only have to solder 1 connector. If i were to do it again, i would actually get mounting bracket specifically made for the tailgate, the one i used i had to drill into to mount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts