Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching mounts for sometime now, but cant find what I am looking for. Does anybody make a mount for the tail light for a 2012 JK? I haven't been able to find one, which is a good reason to try to make my own. Does anybody know of one?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I do not have one for the tail light, but take a look at the Cooltech ultra mount (google Cooltech jeep jk). I installed one Sunday and it looks good, works great and was inexpensive.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I mounted the Cooltech UltraMount- mounts on the left taillight/brakelight. Very good idea, and should hold up well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mounted the Cooltech UltraMount- mounts on the left taillight/brakelight. Very good idea, and should hold up well.
Do you have any pics? Its seems like that angle on the mount is pretty specific for the inside back angle of the licsense plate.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Do you have any pics? Its seems like that angle on the mount is pretty specific for the inside back angle of the licsense plate.
here's mine with the cooltech ultramount

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Sorry, I must have been smoking Crack when I typed this. I meant the license plate, not the rear tail light.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Sorry, I must have been smoking Crack when I typed this. I meant the license plate, not the rear tail light.
Crack is Whack! I just mounted mine to the license plate, but I am having difficulty grounding it. Drilled a hole in the metal bumper, no dice, did another to the frame by the wheel well. I think its better, but having problems tuning it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Spare tire wont work. Have an aftermarket with swing away tire carrier. And I dont wish to move the coax around every time I open up the gate.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Crack is Whack! I just mounted mine to the license plate, but I am having difficulty grounding it. Drilled a hole in the metal bumper, no dice, did another to the frame by the wheel well. I think its better, but having problems tuning it.
Did you sand the inside of the body where that big metal washer goes?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yes, but just by hand. I should probably pull out my sander and do it right (shortcuts cause extra time.... I should know this by now). I am running an 8 gauge ground wire but my terminals werent thick enough to fit all the wire in ( i think 4 or so strands are bent back onto the others, could this be a potential issue or no?) also does it matter which side of the bolt the terminal is on? The terminal is on the bolt head side touching the body, then on the other side I have a lock washer then the nut... Thanks :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I was hoping you came up with some kind of bracket that fit that recessed tail light. Is there enough room in the tail light to do a license plate like mount? I like the height, grounding options, and ease of wiring.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Does this mount have any issue with the antenna whacking the side of the jeep in rough terrain? From the looks of it I can imagine it jostling around and thumping on the rear side/roof quite a bit.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Yes, but just by hand. I should probably pull out my sander and do it right (shortcuts cause extra time.... I should know this by now). I am running an 8 gauge ground wire but my terminals werent thick enough to fit all the wire in ( i think 4 or so strands are bent back onto the others, could this be a potential issue or no?) also does it matter which side of the bolt the terminal is on? The terminal is on the bolt head side touching the body, then on the other side I have a lock washer then the nut... Thanks :)
Where is your ground wire? Can you get a pic of it?

Here's a drawing showing a ground wire position.. I normally run this type of connector but I have never used an additional ground wire, I just sand the bottom of the mount where the red is and then make sure the mounting plate is connected well to the body of the Jeep usually by sanding the inside of the tub where the bolt holds the mount on. Afterwards a quick spray of paint insures some rust protection. This was how I mounted the CB on the TJ, on the JK I'm experimenting with a bumper mount this weekend.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Does this mount have any issue with the antenna whacking the side of the jeep in rough terrain? From the looks of it I can imagine it jostling around and thumping on the rear side/roof quite a bit.
If you have a whip antenna or a spring mounted antenna it does travel some while driving. Spring mounted antennas are usually ok, unless the antenna is heavy or the spring is weak. The whip antennas move a lot move, you can either slide a piece of hose over the area where it may tap a body part or slide a tennis ball over it (very common around here).

·
Registered
286 Posts
So no one makes a tail light mount for a CB antenna for a 2012?
I have been doing a lot of research on what is available out there and I have not run into any mount for the tail light. Sorry!

FYI . .
I found a very informative post on another forum in their CB section that the best mount location for a Jeep is a cowl mount. If provides the least amount of interference from the Jeep, per the poster. Sandwiching the antenna between the tire and the rear window was said to be the worst place, although it helps if you raise it so that the bottom of the antenna is above the tire. The post sounded trustworthy, but I do not know enough to say for sure.

·
Registered
387 Posts
So no one makes a tail light mount for a CB antenna for a 2012?
A few outfits do, but I went the simple way: used the L bracket from a kit for big rig mirror mount. It's trivial. The problem is, it's still too low and a flexible whip hits the hardtop on the trail. The bracket that I took off can be seen in the first photo of this:
zaitcev.mee.nu

1 - 20 of 30 Posts