Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have the Firestik antenna. The cool tech bracket is sold seperately, but... it looks very thin. The antenna can shake pretty violently on washboard roads and rough trails. Not sure if that cool tech bracket can handle that.

I am going to make my own bracket following this guys idea. I am going to add some strength to the bracket by welding in some gussets.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I already have the Firestik antenna. The cool tech bracket is sold seperately, but... it looks very thin. The antenna can shake pretty violently on washboard roads and rough trails. Not sure if that cool tech bracket can handle that.

I am going to make my own bracket following this guys idea. I am going to add some strength to the bracket by welding in some gussets.

To each their own. That is basically the same idea as the Cool Tech. However, the Cool Tech is a 3/16" stainless steel bracket and is more than capable of handling what you are describing. This guy used a 1/8" bracket.

Also, notice how he had to run a separate ground wire. Since the Cool Tech is unpainted stainless steel, no ground wire is required.

I'll mention another idea for you because if I knew about this before, I probably would not have purchased the Cool Tech. If you ever plan on going with a bigger tire and want to purchase the Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement kit, just know that the kit comes with an antenna mount. Since it is $500, it isn't worth it unless you already plan on purchasing it anyway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To each their own.

I'll mention another idea for you because if I knew about this before, I probably would not have purchased the Cool Tech. If you ever plan on going with a bigger tire and want to purchase the Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement kit, just know that the kit comes with an antenna mount. Since it is $500, it isn't worth it unless you already plan on purchasing it anyway.
Great minds think alike. Just ordered this, not Mopar branded but only $190. Not going to need to make anything now. A friend stopped by today to see the Jeep and suggested the reinforcement kit. He has 2018 Rubicon with the Mopar one. I am glad he did. The local dealer wanted $525. Then found this on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TVC5HZ...olid=3OTRP7RVHECDS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Not sure on the ground? The tailgate is plastic. The reinforcement kit will mount to the hinge and could possibly ground the antenna through it, or poorly ground it. Wont know till it's installed and setting the SWR's. I might just run a ground from the antenna to the tub anyway while everything is apart.

Thanks for the idea anyway. I am sure this will be found in searches.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Great minds think alike. Just ordered this, not Mopar branded but only $190. Not going to need to make anything now. A friend stopped by today to see the Jeep and suggested the reinforcement kit. He has 2018 Rubicon with the Mopar one. I am glad he did. The local dealer wanted $525. Then found this on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TVC5HZ...olid=3OTRP7RVHECDS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Not sure on the ground? The tailgate is plastic. The reinforcement kit will mount to the hinge and could possibly ground the antenna through it, or poorly ground it. Wont know till it's installed and setting the SWR's. I might just run a ground from the antenna to the tub anyway while everything is apart.

Thanks for the idea anyway. I am sure this will be found in searches.

You could run the same ground wire as described in the writeup you posted above. That writeup will also help with routing the antenna cable.

Just beware, that item is clearly a copy of the Mopar product. You can tell because they have the same Mopar instructions/part number, and if you look at the back side, you can see a round indentation where the JPP badge normally goes. However, the indentation was not machined on the front side.

This tells me that they used the Mopar drawing to make this product, but it is not actually manufactured by Mopar. It might be fine, but just don't expect it to be Mopar quality.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This tells me that they used the Mopar drawing to make this product, but it is not actually manufactured by Mopar. It might be fine, but just don't expect it to be Mopar quality.
The only thing Mopar makes is money. They don't have forging and stamping plants to make every part in house. Dollar to a donut the parts are made on the same equipment. The cheap Amazon part looks identical to the Mopar branded part other than the Mopar logo. Probably made in China.

We have been on some trails already so far the reinforcement is doing well.

I did run a 12 gauge ground from the reinforcement plate to the tub. SWR'S adjusted down to 1.2. Excellent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts