Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a cobra 29 ltd classic today with a magnetic mount k40 if i install the antenna to the rear of the jeep my swr is 5 to 10 stuck it on the front fender the swr is 1 to 1.5. Can anyone tell me why the reading is better on the front bumper.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
To the rear of the jeep? if you mean off of the rear bumper then you have the tub right up next to the antenna mast, on the front fender you won't have any thing next to the mast so it should match better. Although 5-10 sounds more serious than just the tub in close proximity of the antenna mast.

Donn

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had it on the tailgate gaurd on the passenger side not really to close to the tub, on the front my swr is good so i dont think any issues with the radio.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tailgate gaurd is what stops the tailgate and spare tire swinging to hard and breaking the hinges its mounted beside the passengers tail light maybe its called something else.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Thats a cj thing, YJ's and TJ's never came with those, the stop is built into the hinge.

Donn

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Photo02081813.jpg OK so this is what im calling a tailgate gaurd its beside the tailight it mite be called something else. I had the antenna sitting on this but had to move it to the crowl on the hood

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Does not matter what it's called, it's a horrible ground for a mag--mount antenna. They want a good flat piece of steel under them to work properly. They get their RF ground through a capacitive coupling in the magnet housing.

·
Registered
530 Posts
antennae

are u using a hand held (in line seperate from the radio) swr meter, the built into the radio ones are never accurate. if you are topless there is always the roll bar. ok so does the antennae have a stinger that allows you to lengthen or shorten antennae length. (best swr match) how long is your cable and what rgu? you can go bigger like rg8, (j/k it's huge) you can lengthen shorten the cable, and run the cable in straight lines not all looped up. I've never been a fan of magna-toppers. I suggest a quick release mount attached to any length whip located at the rear of the vehicle. (military spec style) a spring is not necessary unless you go with one of those 108" jobbies.. 2:1 is very high and not acceptable in my world. good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts