Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a CB radio for christmas and today is the first day of sun we've had in a month, so I thought I'd get started.

Uniden 520 XL with a 2' adjustable tip firestik. I also bought the Arizona Rocky Road spare tire antenna mount.

So here's the question - How do I wire the coax cable through the rear tailgate? I know I can just go over the gate between the rear window, but would rather have something cleaner and more permanent. Am I going to have to drill a hole big enough to feed the tip of the coax through?

I'm not necessarily inclined to disassemble the coax cable either.

Thoughts? Anyone else come up with a clever wiring solution?

·
Knows a couple things...
48,834 Posts
I've done a lot of these and I know of no clean way other than to pass the coax cable through a small drilled hole and then solder the connector onto the cable. Since soldering the connector onto the cable is not exactly a trivial task, feel no shame in driving over to a ham radio or cb radio shop and paying a few bucks to have it soldered into place for you.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
if you run the wire down under the tub and up behind the wheel well, there's a rubber grommet right next to where the roll cage meets the tub. that's where i plan to run my cable. i ran my reverse light wires through here and it works really well and you can't see it from the outside.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I have mind coming out of the space between the rear window and top. Since the taillight mounts are so high, it doesn't look that bad IMO. I sprayed bedliner on since this picture and did a lot of other stuff, but you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I used the bracket that mounts behind the driver side tail light. The cable is run through the hole in the body behind the light and up through the body underneath the carpeting. Carpeting hides any hole you need to drill. Then I modified a rubber grommet I had purchased. Neat and clean and water proof.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
just an idea. but what if you drilled i hole right below the antenna mount on the body and put a rubber "filler plug" then ran the cable through that into the inside of the jeep and ran the cable along the side wall of the interior of the tub?

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
TJspeed said:
just an idea. but what if you drilled i hole right below the antenna mount on the body and put a rubber "filler plug" then ran the cable through that into the inside of the jeep and ran the cable along the side wall of the interior of the tub?
That seems like the best idea, guess its what I'm doing

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
My cable goes through the tailgate using the same hole as the wiring for the 3rd brakelight.
Had to dispense with the factory rubber grommet, then sealed it up with sikaflex.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I got a CB radio for christmas and today is the first day of sun we've had in a month, so I thought I'd get started.

Uniden 520 XL with a 2' adjustable tip firestik. I also bought the Arizona Rocky Road spare tire antenna mount.

So here's the question - How do I wire the coax cable through the rear tailgate? I know I can just go over the gate between the rear window, but would rather have something cleaner and more permanent. Am I going to have to drill a hole big enough to feed the tip of the coax through?

I'm not necessarily inclined to disassemble the coax cable either.

Thoughts? Anyone else come up with a clever wiring solution?

Here's how I wired mine....

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
beserkur said:
Here's how I wired mine....
Just wondering how are your swr readings with the rear bumper as your ground? I'm going to DIY a bracket like that for mine. and wanted to know before I make it. Anyways that's a lot how I plan on wiring mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wondering how are your swr readings with the rear bumper as your ground? I'm going to DIY a bracket like that for mine. and wanted to know before I make it. Anyways that's a lot how I plan on wiring mine.
Not too bad actually,but in all honesty I only use it in close proximity while trailing...I haven't really tried talking to someone a long way off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How long of a cable did everybody use? I have a shorter cable and want to move the CB and the current cable I have will not be long enough. I can't remember the length I got though for the current one I have.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
beserkur said:
Not too bad actually,but in all honesty I only use it in close proximity while trailing...I haven't really tried talking to someone a long way off.
That's mostly what mine will be for. But I would like it to be pretty good.

As for length I use 18 foot as per recommended.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Most off the shelf cables are 18' I think. That's what I used and I had about 3-4' left over that I had to zip-tie off. That's from the left side dash, down around the door, and up on the rear wheel well to the tail light.

·
Jeeper
1,282 Posts
BLK00TJ said:
Most off the shelf cables are 18' I think. That's what I used and I had about 3-4' left over that I had to zip-tie off. That's from the left side dash, down around the door, and up on the rear wheel well to the tail light.
As long as you didnt coil the excess up, you should be fine

·
Knows a couple things...
48,834 Posts
As long as you didnt coil the excess up, you should be fine
Coiling up excess coax cable doesn't, in reality, cause the problems some think it does. Go to any military, commercial, or FAA antenna farm and you'll see pretty much all the antennas have excess coax cable coiled up somewhere.

I can talk Xl (inductive reactance), RF chokes, etc. with the best of them and the loose big coils of excess coax cable that are so common with HF antennas don't cause any problems. Heck my HF ham rig has its excess RG-8 cable coiled up in a few locations without problem. I used to be in charge of several military fixed transmitter sites and virtually all of our HF/VHF/UHF systems had excess coax permanently coiled up which was part of the design that even said where to secure the coils on the antenna towers. :)

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Coiling up excess coax cable doesn't, in reality, cause the problems some think it does. Go to any military, commercial, or FAA antenna farm and you'll see pretty much all the antennas have excess coax cable coiled up somewhere.

I can talk Xl (inductive reactance), RF chokes, etc. with the best of them and the loose big coils of excess coax cable that are so common with HF antennas don't cause any problems. Heck my HF ham rig has its excess RG-8 cable coiled up in a few locations without problem. I used to be in charge of several military fixed transmitter sites and virtually all of our HF/VHF/UHF systems had excess coax permanently coiled up which was part of the design that even said where to secure the coils on the antenna towers. :)

I agree, from what I have read you shouldn't roll up into looks less than a foot in diameter. Which is very easy to avoid doing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts