Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cobra 19 CB, firestik 3' antenna, and the firestik k4 stud mount.
my question is, what else do i need? i bought a 30' coax cable and the rugged ridge mount, but i am getting a new tire carrier soon, so i am sending the mount back. i tried just hooking things up in my living room to see how it all worked, and for the life of me could not figure out the assembly. any help would be appreciated.

i have never worked with a CB before

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had mine professionally installed and he said he came off the fuse box mentioned that he ran the power to hot side all the time so key doesn't have to be on. Doesn't use much power if you leave on.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
A few tips...

Power - a good choice is the Quadretec power lead that piggy backs the cigarette lighter with oem style connectors.

Be sure to ground the antenna mount back to the body, not just the tail gate. Use heavy gauge wire for the ground. The ground connection through the hinges is not consistent and could lead to a week signal.

Once all connected, be sure to tune the antenna before use.

·
Registered
669 Posts
make sure you are above the body metal if you can..
any metal in the plane of the antenna will cause lowered output ..
the more of the antenna above the metal the better.

did you use an SWR meter to check your output?

the ground is very important for the antenna and the radio too. as already mentioned

the power should be a switched power not a constant battery power..

the hard part is actually where to and how to mount the radio unit itself.. once you get that done the rest is easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts