Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

just wrapped up my CB install in my 2012 JKU. Everything went fine and SWR readings are good. Ground is to a bolt under the console that holds the framework to the floorpan. Power I ran to my sPod.

My issue is that when I key the mic it aparently is interferring with something as my dash warning lights all come on, the wipers go on, the compass resets, the temp goes to zero...

Ideas?? The ground tests good if I am doing it right?

Eric

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone?? I'm stumped..I just also ran the power directly to the battery to eliminate the sPod and that's not it. That leaves the ground for the radio or the antenna ground if that can even do this?

Eric

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, start with disconnecting your antenna ground and see if that does anything... most antennas don't need to be grounded now anyways....

·
Registered
876 Posts
I don't have a seperate ground on the antenna. I am using the Rugged Ridge mount directly on the tailgate door with a Firestik 4A stud, quick disconnect and 4' Antenna...
I'll take a stab at it. If you haven't pinched a wire and your just running a little Firestick and not a 102" whip it has to be the radio. Is the radio new and even if it isn't it sounds like your getting backfeed voltage into your Jeep electrical system.

DC voltage should be exacty that. (Direct Current), but if you have a fault in your radio it may have backfeed, which one way to correct it would be to install a Diode which only lets electricity flow one way.

Where did you pull the positive feed to your rig? If you pulled it off the alternator it is AC and it will be alternating current?

More info please?

50 Something

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll take a stab at it. If you haven't pinched a wire and your just running a little Firestick and not a 102" whip it has to be the radio. Is the radio new and even if it isn't it sounds like your getting backfeed voltage into your Jeep electrical system.

DC voltage should be exacty that. (Direct Current), but if you have a fault in your radio it may have backfeed, which one way to correct it would be to install a Diode which only lets electricity flow one way.

Where did you pull the positive feed to your rig? If you pulled it off the alternator it is AC and it will be alternating current?

More info please?

50 Something
I am running a 4ft Firestik with a 4A stud and the Rugged Ridge rear gate mount. Also a quick disconnect on the antenna. The power is direct to the battery and the ground for the radio is on a bolt under the edge of the carpet that bolts the console frame to the floorpan.

All componets are brand new....

·
Registered
876 Posts
I am running a 4ft Firestik with a 4A stud and the Rugged Ridge rear gate mount. Also a quick disconnect on the antenna. The power is direct to the battery and the ground for the radio is on a bolt under the edge of the carpet that bolts the console frame to the floorpan.

All componets are brand new....
Run the ground straight to the battery with a jumper and tell me what that does?

50 Something

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Run the ground straight to the battery with a jumper and tell me what that does?

50 Something

I will try that in the am and report back!! Someone else also suggested they had to grind the bottom hole surface of the rugged ridge mount to bar metal (remove the powdercoat) as well as teh back of the mount where it contacts the rear gate. I will do that as well..

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well...I am at a loss. This am I completely removed teh Rugged Ridge mount and ground the powdercoat off around the mounting hole for the antenna and the two flats where it firms up against the actual tailgate panel.

I also ran the radio ground directly to the battery.

I doublechecked SWR and it was under 1.7:1 all channels so the antenna is good.

I removed the meter and key'd the mic and boom...my wipers, all the dash lights, and chimes all started going off.

Not sure what else it could be other than a bad radio???

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok..about to give up. To try to eliminate things I actually went and picked up another new radio and another new coax cable. I ran completely new lines to the battery (pos/neg) and I replaced the stud and double checked the ground at the antenna.

The SWR is low (below 1.4:1) but guess what?? I key the mic and all my interior electronics go ape shit...I just don't get it. The only thing I have not bought a second new one of is the antenna...maybe I need to try that now.

Eric

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys I finally figured it out on a whim. I hope that this will help someone else if they experience this. Just on a gut feeling I suspected that this was RF feedback into the CANBUS system and the only place it could have been coming from is the rear antenna area. I have the hard top on right now and with the antenna mounted on the rear gate it puts it within just a few inches of the rear wiper motor. I unplugged the lead that runs from the truck to the top just like when removing it and BAM...no more problem. RF was feeding back into the CANBUS directly from the transmitting antenna into the rear wiper.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts