Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a CB radio for Christmas and wanna instill it saw a YouTube video that a guy hooked it up to one of his fuses in the box to power it. First I'm not good with wires so this idea seems pretty easy just gotta buy a fuse adapter and hook it up. Now question I have which fuse should I use? 19 that says spare? Idk if it's a spare I can use for whatever or it just says spare and in use already. Or 16 that isn't in use?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I'd wire it directly to the battery that way you lessen the chance of nasty "electrical interference noise" from the vehicle coming through the radio.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
No, don't connect your CB to the fuse box despite what you saw on that video. Basic 2-way Radio Installation 101 says to always power any 2-way radio directly from the battery to reduce the likelihood of electrical noise from things like the fuel pump being introduced into the CB.

Instead, connect the power leads directly to the battery insuring that at least one of those leads has an inline fuse. To make it easier, you can simply ground the black lead directly to the tub or other ground point you find, and connect the red lead to the stud on the PDC (power distribution center) which is located directly in front of the battery. That stud is more convenient and it is connected directly to the battery.

The stud is under a small cover on the battery side of the PDC that unsnaps to reveal the stud that provides 12 volts to the power distribution center. It's a clean source of power that won't intrude static, whine, etc. into your CB.

Make sure the black ground lead for your CB is well grounded, there are a number of suitable electrical grounds you can use scattered around the Jeep.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to found completely stupid but pretty much just run a wire from my battery inside the jeep to the cb and ground it off on something inside? Also if I do it to the battery wouldn't it always be on? I got my windshield lights on my battery but that has a on and off switch.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
JUst turn the switch on the cb off. If you run it the way Jerry states it means you can use the cb without having to turn the ignition on, which in some emergency situations might be dangerous. Check the Electronics section in the General section of the forum, I'm sure there is a bunch of info there for CB installs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No it wont be "on". The cb will only take power from the battery when it is turned on, so you just have to make sure you turn off your cb when you turn off your jeep. I pushed mine through the football on the drivers side, and ran the cord over to the battery from there. This is where mine is:

ForumRunner_20111231_114548.jpg

Just make sure you ground it. Mine is grounded on a screw on the tub, I believe its next to the clutch. There was already stuff grounded there so I figured out would work. Best of luck!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
Your CB doesn't draw enough power when on and not transmitting to light up a gnat. You could forget to shut the CB off and leave it on for weeks without it draining the battery.

Besides, there will be many times when you want to be able to use your CB without the ignition switch being on.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
No, don't connect your CB to the fuse box despite what you saw on that video. Basic 2-way Radio Installation 101 says to always power any 2-way radio directly from the battery to reduce the likelihood of electrical noise from things like the fuel pump being introduced into the CB.

Instead, connect the power leads directly to the battery insuring that at least one of those leads has an inline fuse. To make it easier, you can simply ground the black lead directly to the tub or other ground point you find, and connect the red lead to the stud on the PDC (power distribution center) which is located directly in front of the battery. That stud is more convenient and it is connected directly to the battery.

The stud is under a small cover on the battery side of the PDC that unsnaps to reveal the stud that provides 12 volts to the power distribution center. It's a clean source of power that won't intrude static, whine, etc. into your CB.

Make sure the black ground lead for your CB is well grounded, there are a number of suitable electrical grounds you can use scattered around the Jeep.
Your CB doesn't draw enough power when on and not transmitting to light up a gnat. You could forget to shut the CB off and leave it on for weeks without it draining the battery.

Besides, there will be many times when you want to be able to use your CB without the ignition switch being on.
I actually agree with you on these, lol! :thumb: Happy New Year JB! Keep on Jeepin on!

·
Jeeponator
1,413 Posts
necromancer_tat said:
I actually agree with you on these, lol! :thumb: Happy New Year JB! Keep on Jeepin on!
First time for everything eh? :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
cb install

don't forget to install a fuse right after the connection to the battery never run a hot wire from the battery without a fuse unless you want to burn your jeep down.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
charlieb said:
don't forget to install a fuse right after the connection to the battery never run a hot wire from the battery without a fuse unless you want to burn your jeep down.
What size fuse should I run?

·
Registered
772 Posts
every cb(mobile unti) i've had already had an in-line fuse on the power lead--and i've owned quite a few over the yrs.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Even though they have an inline fuse(unless its used) you still wanna put the fuse as close to the power source as possible in case it gets pinched and shorts out

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Does anybody think I can fit a cb in my center armrest an if so what brand cb do you recommend

View attachment 86786

It's a 2012
Sure why not it looks boxy enough to fit just about anything in that space. As for a Radio it all depends on how much you want to spend. You could blow a ton of cash on a top of the line Galaxy or you can spend just a little on a simple Cobra DX 19.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts