Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Jeep and wanted to get advice on getting either a CB or ham radio. I'm leaning toward a ham radio for camping and long distance emergency communication, but it seems the Jamboree prefer CBs.

Any thoughts?
:Thanx:

·
Administrator
41,993 Posts
Wow, that's a good question. Many groups require a CB to off-road with them as well as the jamboree. However, you are right, the HAM would be better as an emergency radio for the longer range. I suggest you check out this forum area and post your questions there, I think you'll get a better response.

Communications and Electronics

In the mean time, I just like to say . . .

Welcome to the forum! :wavey:

Click here for tips on posting pictures

_______
/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yes, good question that is asked often. Most organized events require a CB. Individual groups seem to be heading towards HAM. HAM is certainly preferred when way out. As you research you’ll see most folks that regularly do both types of activities have both CB and HAM.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Welcome from Arizona.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The only problem with using ham radio as apposed to CB or FRS/GMRS is that you have to write a technical exam in order to get your amateur operators license. And, once you have your license, you can only talk to other hams who have passed their exams. This precludes communicating with friends and family (unless they also have their license).

With CB/GMRS/FRS no operators license is required, (You need a station license for GMRS. But that's only a cash payment.. No exam.). You can talk to anyone using these modes.

Just to add.. Unless you're in range of a ham radio repeater, a VHF/UHF ham radio doesn't really have much of an advantage over CB radio distance wise. It's line-of-sight communications.

I have my ham license, but all our local clubs use CB channel 8 for group outings, so I had to buy a CB radio for that. So I guess the answer to your question is.. Get both :)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Seriously, Both, and a decent FRS either mobile or handheld.
Each have pros and cons but you'll find Comms is VERY important and very handy.

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
Great question, we carry 2 radios because different clubs communicate differently. The only radio that matters is the one that the ride is using.

Glad to have you here!
Welcome to Wrangler Forum :welcome: :wavey:

Pic of the wife's setup.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
The group I ride with often uses both. The guys with ham can communicate from tail gunner to leader at all times during a drive. Last drive was 31 Jeeps. The CB's will not reach that range at all times like the ham radios do. I monitor both from my Midland 75-822 with 4' Firestick and SW of 1.3-1.4. My hand held cheap Baofeng ham radio receives and communicates from inside the cockpit with it's stubby antenna better than the CB. Not to say a perfectly tuned CB won't be clearer than a poorly set up ham though ;)

An other car club I belong to uses the GMRS radios that work well line of site with their much shorter antennas.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Can HAM radio communicate with CBs? vice versa??

·
Registered
377 Posts
Not legally, not saying its impossible but you don't want to go down that road.
Ahhh...interesting. Can you 'monitor' CB traffic from your HAM and/or vice versa at least??
I just started studying for my HAM radio test. I think that's the solution for me.

Since there is so much info out here....good ideas/links for SMALL Ham radios? Not hand held, but small. I wana install it on a Vector Off Road dock, likely very close to the driver's side edge, so I can run power to SPOD and antenna to the front driver's side fender. I think THAT might be my cleanest/easiest option.

(Your CB link to that Uniden was exactly the size I'd love! so small...)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Ahhh...interesting. Can you 'monitor' CB traffic from your HAM and/or vice versa at least??
I just started studying for my HAM radio test. I think that's the solution for me.

Since there is so much info out here....good ideas/links for SMALL Ham radios? Not hand held, but small. I wana install it on a Vector Off Road dock, likely very close to the driver's side edge, so I can run power to SPOD and antenna to the front driver's side fender. I think THAT might be my cleanest/easiest option.

(Your CB link to that Uniden was exactly the size I'd love! so small...)

Tons of remote head Hams just like my Uniden, thats where the design started.
And you'll find that the only limit in Ham is your pocket change.
You can literately do just about anything you want if you have the right level license and the right equipment.
Talk to a Space station or craft, yep, bounce a signal off the moon, yep, use satellites, yep.
There are several multi-band radios, listening to CB is easy, transmitting, you find out is a whole other ball of wax.

This is why there are tests and things you need to study, the equipment you will be able to use could have a major impact on several people that you'll never meet face to face, but its really cool to talk to them on the radio.

For a good source to compare specs and prices
https://www.hamradio.com/

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
T
And you'll find that the only limit in Ham is your pocket change.

That's for sure! ... If you have really deep pockets, you can drop over $50 thousand bucks on the hobby :)

That’s the easy part. Digging trenches for my house grounding system, feedline conduit, and ground radials was the hard part. Had to buy an electric jack hammer to drive a large number of 8 ft. ground rods into the earth (Arizona earth). After I finished I added it up to 1/4 mile of trenches dug. Although the exothermic welding was very fun.

It all started with a 2m/70cm radio for the Jeep. Now I have a 1.3KW HF rig at my house.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Yea, the labor can be fun.. I dug a 4ft by 4ft hole 4 feet deep for my tower. Filled it with concrete then installed all the sections myself. After that I hauled my 50 pound 3 element HF beam that is 16 feet long and 36 feet wide up to the top and mounted it on the electric antenna rotator.

Ham radio can be a lot more than just talking :)

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Yea, the labor can be fun.. I dug a 4ft by 4ft hole 4 feet deep for my tower. Filled it with concrete then installed all the sections myself.

Ham radio can be a lot more than just talking :)

Haha, that’s the same size hole I dug. Had a mixer with a concrete pump come out and fill it up. The hole actually wasn’t as much work for me as the trenches and 20 or so ground rods. I bought a special tool (quite expensive) for pulling out jammed up partially driven rods. But, yeah, the whole install was quite an experience. I have a Hy-Tower multiband vertical that works quite well actually. I thought it would be a good way to get my feet wet and not be too obnoxious in my neighborhood.

Sorry OP, way off topic. But yes if you have a inquisitive mind and like to learn about new to you things, ham radio is an awesome hobby.

·
Registered
377 Posts
INSANE!:jawdrop: who knew....I thought I was saving money by coming to this thread

1 - 20 of 58 Posts