Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Yes :)
I was just demonstrating that you can spend $12,000 on one radio if you want.. There's an outfit in Germany called Hilberling.. They make radios costing up to $20,000 US.
It all comes down to the antenna. I have an FTDX3000 and an FTDX5000 and there is essentially no difference between the two with my antenna. - May get another antenna some day, but for now I don't have time to deal with that.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Yes, the antenna makes a huge difference. A $10K radio connected to a few feet of wire won't be good for much.

I picked up a 3 element SteppIR for HF about seven years ago.. It was $500 cheaper back then. :) (It's a great antenna). https://consumer.steppir.com/shop/horizontal-antennas/3-element-yagi-antenna-20m-6m/

Of course if someone can afford 10K plus for a radio, they'd probably want this antenna made by SteppIR https://consumer.steppir.com/shop/horizontal-antennas/4-element-antenna-products/db42-monstir-pro-yagi-antenna-40m-6m/

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Yes, the antenna makes a huge difference. A $10K radio connected to a few feet of wire won't be good for much.

Of course if someone can afford 10K plus for a radio, they'd probably want this antenna made by SteppIR https://consumer.steppir.com/shop/horizontal-antennas/4-element-antenna-products/db42-monstir-pro-yagi-antenna-40m-6m/

That might prompt my neighbors to raise an eyebrow or two. My HyTower actually works pretty well and I can talk to people halfway around the world, but my signal is weak and I could use more antenna gain for sure. Putting up a new tower is a big and expensive undertaking. For now I think I’m going to hold what I got. I have an Expert Linear amp that is very sweet.

·
Registered
377 Posts
test

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
is it the "type" of antenna mount?? like NMO vs PL259?

I'm more confused thatn I should. Anyway, thans for input....

The first one is not PL259 and the 2nd one is MNO which based on your previous post antenna selection is what you would want. I would advise going eham.net and reading the reviews. You may want to consider the Comet CA-2x4SRNMO antenna.

This is the Diamond K400 mount above the front fender. Yes, it is adjustable.

·
Registered
377 Posts
This is exactly what I had in mind. How did you run your antenna cable??

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got a Jeep and wanted to get advice on getting either a CB or ham radio. I'm leaning toward a ham radio for camping and long distance emergency communication, but it seems the Jamboree prefer CBs.

Any thoughts?
:Thanx:

Get a nice simple CB and a nice ham radio!
I run everything from 1.8MHz to 54MHz, plus 2M, 70CM.
I have a hand held 40 ch CB with external Antenna/power.
OK, sure the TJ LOOKS like a porky pine, But I am never alone.
I have talked to Germany from a campground in Texas.
Get the one you NEED the most and add the one you want.

KJ5XJ

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
This is exactly what I had in mind. How did you run your antenna cable??

It’s hard for me to put it in words but I will try to explain. The antenna cable runs through the area on the top inside of the fender through the foam area on the firewall into where the side dash removable panel is. If you take a flashlight and look up in there you should see a bunch of white-ish/yellow foam. There’s also a similar set up on the other side which can be used to run power through from the battery. Initially I probably used a long rod or long screwdriver to punch a hole out through the foam. This is a common well-documented area to get through the firewall so there’s probably other write-ups and pictures somewhere.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I just picked up an IC-2730A to replace my FT-8800R in my Jeep. Both those radios are dual VFOs which I think is really a necessity and the only way to setup crossband repeat. The Yaesu is a good radio, but with the lack of back lighting on the buttons, the small knobs and display, and unintuitive menus I thought it was time for a change. I’ve always really liked the Yaseu radios over the Icom and both my HF rigs are great. First Icom, we’ll see how this works out.

·
Registered
377 Posts
....The antenna cable runs through the area on the top inside of the fender through the foam area on the firewall into where the side dash removable panel is. If you take a flashlight and look up in there you should see a bunch of white-ish/yellow foam. There’s also a similar set up on the other side which can be used to run power through from the battery.
Yes, I'm already using this method on the passenger side for the ARB compressor I've mounted under the pass. seat.👍🏻
I think I meant more of "how" are you running your rig, as in where is your radio located? Did you split the head from the transceiver body? If so, where did you mount the head? Where did you run the power from? And how is your mic set up?
I think the ICOM 2730A is going to be the winner for me too.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I think I meant more of "how" are you running your rig, as in where is your radio located? Did you split the head from the transceiver body? If so, where did you mount the head? Where did you run the power from? And how is your mic set up?

I think the ICOM 2730A is going to be the winner for me too.
I have the Arizona Rocky Road overhead mount currently with the FT-8800 and will use the same with the IC-2730A. I have the head attached to the main body and mic also attached to the AZ RR. Power and ground comes in through the firewall on the passenger side and runs up behind the pillar trim panel. I would highly recommend running the radio ground directly to the battery. I have a lot of different electronics so I use a Rowe PDM60 power control module located under the glove box. It didn’t start out that way but eventually I had a mess of wires for different electronics and added the PDM60 to clean everything up. The PDM60 is programmable and gives a lot of flexibility if you have many different aftermarket electronics. It’s essentially a solid state relay and fuse combo with programmable current limits and shutoff delay time. Another handy thing are the Anderson PowerPole connectors and multi-connector blocks from PowerWerx.

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos on the 2730A and compared the operation to that of my FT-8800. As much as I love Yaesu radios they are just not that user-friendly. The Icom unit looks far easier to use and a better setup in many ways.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ok, so I finally got my ticket! :drinks: A few weeks of studying and reading up online. Took a few prep tests and off I went. So that's done with. No call sign yet. Gotta wait a week or so until I get up on their FCC database....

So...
I did finish the Cobra 75 CB installation. 4' Firestick antenna mounted on the Teraflex HD hi-light jack carrier, and ran it all the way up front under the passenger side sills. I'm hookinh up with local HAM guys to tune it next week. "Local comms" project completed!

onto the HAM set up now....we'll see.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Congratulations on your new ticket coming.
Opens up a whole new world .
I run a Comet 2x4sr and Icom 2300 in my Jeep.
It gets the job done and is simple to use.
We have a lot of 2 meter repeaters in my area so its very useful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I've got two questions.
1) Re: Jamborees and clubs, I got a mail from Midland saying that Jeep Jamborees are dropping CB for GMRS. Is this true? I just might get a GMRS handheld for Jamborees.
2) Re: Camping and boondocking, I'm leaning towards a ham dual band 2m/70cm mobile radio with 50 watts, GPS and APRS. I considering a Yaesu FTM-400XDR or a Icom ID-5100A Deluxe (no APRS).

My goal to be able to connect with local hams for tips and guidance while isolated, help in emergencies (i.e. GPS and recovery) and let people keep track of me while wheeling. I do not want to cheap out and regret it later.

Any comments and suggestions? - Thanks!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi, make sure u read all the posts here. Theres a ton of usable info for newbs like ME. Maybe it'll settle it for you.
I ended it up installing a space-saver Cobra 75 CB. Always useful. I also got a hand held portable Baofeng FM8, as a back up ham. Im about to install an ICOM 2730 ham.
As far as APRS, I chose a full time SEPARATE system based on the MTT4B transmitter. Its a self contained unit which wont tie up a band on your mobile ham.
I can post links later when I get home, but you'll def get the best advise from THIS thread here. You are in the right spot😁

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I appreciate your comments and look forward to your recommendations. I have been following the posts for a while after starting this thread about 3 months ago. It looks there is no clear answer to the "right" communication solution. Looking forward to a easy to use, integrated communication radio to keep my dash clean and simple. Being new to Jeeps and ham radio, I'm choosing to install a comms package over a heavy bumper, winch and lift kit... for now. I'll be exploring, camping and photographing more that rock crawling.

At the moment, I'm staying inside to help stop Covid-19 while researching equipment and studying for my ham license. 🧐

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've got both CB and HAM because of the requirements of groups I wheel with. I mainly use the HAM with my close buddies and the CB for larger groups like Jeep Safari.

CB is a Uniden PC78LTX with 4 ft Francis antenna. The HAM is a Baofeng BF-F8HP with external mag mount antenna.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts