Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, sorry for all the stupid questions and stupid questions to come. I'm a newb as I've mentioned before I'm going to get a cb and have seen hand held portable units. Is it better to get a traditional unit or a portable one? Thanks again for any help u guys and gals always give

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
SoCalChris said:
Ok, sorry for all the stupid questions and stupid questions to come. I'm a newb as I've mentioned before I'm going to get a cb and have seen hand held portable units. Is it better to get a traditional unit or a portable one? Thanks again for any help u guys and gals always give
Traditional is really the best. I've been using a handheld for ages, even though I have a new in box Cobra, and Fire-Stik antennae sitting in my garage. Too broke and lazy to install it. The hand held just doesn't have the range or power you need on the trail. Mine will end up being for my spotter as soon as I get the new one in.

Just my $.02 worth.

·
I do my own stunts.
3,019 Posts
Most people like the traditional units. I'm in the minority. I like my handheld Cobra 38WXST unit. When connected to a properly tuned quality antenna like my 4' Firestick, it transmits and receives for miles, as well as any other unit on the trails. I like the handheld unit because it easily disappears and gets out of the way when not needed, which is most of the time I'm driving my Jeep. Also when I'm out of my Jeep on the trail, I can take my handheld CB with me and stay in communication with the group.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Traditional. You can get some pretty compact units for not a lot of money. I got a Uniden 520 and it is way out of the way and transmits receives really well.

There may be a cheaper way to go, but I wanted breezy and easy so I went with this kit - Uniden 510 Jeep & Off-Road CB Kit | Right Channel Radios

Disclaimer - I am not affiliated with rightchannelradios.com outside of being a satisfied customer.

I also have a hand held unit that was gifted to me. It takes a ton of batteries and doesn't pull in much at all but on a trail it would be a whole lot better than nothing.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perfect! Ordering the kit tonight. I like the simple set up. Thanks

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
Traditional is really the best. I've been using a handheld for ages, even though I have a new in box Cobra, and Fire-Stik antennae sitting in my garage. Too broke and lazy to install it. The hand held just doesn't have the range or power you need on the trail. Mine will end up being for my spotter as soon as I get the new one in.

Just my $.02 worth.
ditto that... my handheld works standing 10 feet away but will not work if your 2 cars behind me... I tend to stick to the traditional cobra radio

·
Registered
957 Posts
also since nobody has mentioned it you need to have your cb tuned once installed with a SWR meter otherwise you can burn out your cb radio, don't transmit untill tuned.

also read up on how to install and proper grounding, really important too.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also since nobody has mentioned it you need to have your cb tuned once installed with a SWR meter otherwise you can burn out your cb radio, don't transmit untill tuned.

also read up on how to install and proper grounding, really important too.
The kit come w the SWR meter. Thanks for the info. I think for the price it's a great no hassle kit

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey bro! Read the post up a few by turnstyle. There's a link in his post. I paid $160 for everything including shipping w a sick mount for the rear
I think you'll be stoked with the kit, Chris. They have a youtube video that explains in more detail about dialing in the SWR. It is not difficult at all, installing or dialing in the SWR but, the video helped motivate me to do it.
I went with a fender mount, and I probably got a longer firestick than I needed, but, I live in the sticks, so being able to pull in crap over the hills and through the redwoods is a win for me.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info. So far the customer service is great! Already shipped, I should receive it this Tuesday and I'll install it over the weekend. I briefly looked at the video they give on their site for tuning. Wonderful idea and I'm sure will be perfect for a guy like me who's clueless. Lol. I will deff be recommending them as u did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts