Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to communications and was hoping to get some guidance regarding buying a CB radio. Main use -trail. There are a few of those on crageslist.com but what am I looking at when buying it used or new?

·
Registered
16,641 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
find a cb shop, buy a cobra 29 and have it peaked and tuned. tune your antenna well and you will never have to change your setup.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RSC17 said:
find a cb shop, buy a cobra 29 and have it peaked and tuned. tune your antenna well and you will never have to change your setup.
Any recommendations for the antenna? I saw this Firestick. Looked fine and reasonably priced but is that a good product? Are there any more of that class?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I run a 4ft firestick and mine's pretty well tuned. I have to say I'm getting around 15 miles of range. Some say firesticks are hard to tune but I love mine.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: I've got the Cobra 29 LTDBT and (tunable) 4' firestik-

Sometimes, when I'm on top of a hill I can receive from 45/50 miles-can't xmitt that far though-

Look into Cobra Mods 75 for little close range use, I'll never use that type though !!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
698 Posts
:cool: I've got the Cobra 29 LTDBT and (tunable) 4' firestik-

Sometimes, when I'm on top of a hill I can receive from 45/50 miles-can't xmitt that far though-

Look into Cobra Mods 75 for little close range use, I'll never use that type though !!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO
x2 on that range. i have the LTD ST to be more specific and it's wonderful. To tell the truth, I was unhappy with my walmart cobra cb. Outside of real close range, it's terrible even with a well tuned antenna.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
XJ Knight said:
Reviews - Midland 75-822 Handheld CB Radio Reviews by Offroaders.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Review Engine Powered by ReviewPost

Wasn't a hard choice for me.. Wanted something that I could hook up inside the jeep with a good CB Radio Antenna set up and then be able to be in communication outside the jeep also.. Had the antenna set up in my old XJ.. Never concerned myself with it for the TJ as I felt that the range in its cordless set up was good enough for the trail
Where did you buy that? That looks like a good product

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Where did you buy that? That looks like a good product
I got mine from a local radio communications store.. 100 bucks is a great deal. I paid 130 for mine. Also firestick is a very common choice for jeep cb radio setups.. Im gonna go that route after I spend some money on other things

1 - 11 of 11 Posts