Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am excited for my new addition as it has been on my list for a while. Went with the Cobra 75 and mounted it to my Teraflex HD Carrier. I bought 2 antennas, one being a 4 foot and the other a 2 foot. I will keep the 2 footer on everyday so I can fit in the garage and put the 4 footer on when off road or on longer trips.

Parts:

Cobra 75
18 foot cable with fire ring end
Teraflex mount
HD Spring
2 & 4 foot antenna (Firestik II adjustable)
SWR meter
Mopar CB mount

Install went very smooth.

Now just trying to get a handle on how to use it and see what truckers are saying out there :)

Attachments

·
Hye Climber in Chief
255 Posts
In my neck of the woods (L.A.), using a CB is a great way for you to immerse yourself in the Spanish language. I have a feeling I'm learning a lot of "colorful metaphors" as Spock once said.

·
Registered
284 Posts
What is holding your cb? Did you use the holder the cb came with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is holding your cb? Did you use the holder the cb came with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's the Mopar CB radio clip

·
Registered
170 Posts
So I haven't heard much traffic at all while scanning around town. Every once in awhile I get some nut jobs talking about random stuff on channel 33.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you grew up in the 70's and think it's going to be the same, you are going to be disappointed. Great for trails with friends but not too many people use them anymore. At least not in MI.
I am picking up some conversation but not a whole lot. I am looking forward to having it while being offroad.

I have to say it is kind of fun having this in hearing some very random CB conversations.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you run the coax through the roll bar or floor?
I ran the coax up the roll bar and down the A-pillar. I like the fact it is completely hidden and out of the way. I will say that i used all the 18 feet of cable as it is within inches of being too short.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Do you have more photos of the rig installed and how you ran the antenna?

·
Registered
215 Posts
i have the same setup (except ran the cable along the bottom floor (had plenty of cable), the external speaker if you have it was simply taped to the front of the shift console. Used Gorilla double sided tape. put it on over 2 years ago and has not come off. hope this helps

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have the same basic setup as OP. Added ground strap to the antenna mount for perfect SWR meter readings (beware the Teraflex HD hinge isn’t a good ground). Also beware the Teraflex antenna mount rusts. Not sure if it’s the metal or coating but it’s one of the only things on my Jeep that’s rusting and never been exposed to road or sea salt. I need to take it off and replace it or coat it with something being sure to maintain the ground.

I agree with what others have said about CB’s not being the same as Smokey and the Bandit days. Not much out there to talk or even listen to. Last trip to Moab from Houston we heard one (assumed) trucker say “anybody out there hear me that can speak English?” I had a CB in the late 70’s early 80’s so I know what it was like. On the trails I end up using my handheld 2 way radios a lot more than the CB. I have two and it works well to lend one to the other driver who either doesn’t have a CB or doesn’t have it hooked up.

Be sure to do a radio check occasionally to make sure people hear you. My Cobra 75 was receiving but not sending and they fixed it while under warranty. Turn around time was very fast, a week or so, their customer service is good. That’s one reason I went with Cobra brand for the two way radios.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I got 2 antennas adjusted for SWR too. Unlike the OP, I went with a 3' and a 4'. The 3' sticks up just above the roof line, which is necessary for any type of transmit or receive that's more than a few hundred yards away, (a 2' would put it below your roof line).

Like the OP, I got the 4' just for wheeling to give me extra gain and distance where I don't have to worry about running into any low ceiling parking garages or car washes.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Does it help in locating Beaver ?

Can you share how much it costs ?

The CB Rig.... Not the Beaver...

No offense, just offering up a bit humor with the price inquiry good buddies.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Im not done wiring my CB in yet but I mounted a 102" whip for daily/street driving. Ill get a 4' fiberglass for offroad. Ill finish the wiring today.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts