Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was going to go to Home Depot to get a small piece of metal to bolt my CB radio under my dash, Instead I stopped at a metal supply place and found a nice piece of flat steel for next to nothing. I ended up building a switch console, CB radio mount, and mic holder. It is all one unit and is a lot larger then shown in the photo, It is really strong too so I can mount even more things like 2 12 volt power supply or a scanner, I know I want to put a 6 way gang box/ fuse holder to have plenty of places to tap into for what ever . I also have 4 blue LED tipped toggle switches in the mail.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Looks nice, clean. Do you drive this jeep, the floors look spotless!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks nice, clean. Do you drive this jeep, the floors look spotless!!
Thats pretty funny, the floor is actually as dirty as I have ever seen them. Its just that this jeep has only 32k for a 95. Everything is original and new-old...lol

Here is under the dash...still have to tuck those wires back

Attachments

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I mounted mine in just about the same spot. Just under the ash tray. I mounted the mic to the front of my console though. I just got a 10' whip antenna for Christmas from my brother :thumb: I mounted it to the tire stop in the back so that it wouldn't swing and rub all my paint off

Your install looks real nice and clean :cool:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mounted mine in just about the same spot. Just under the ash tray. I mounted the mic to the front of my console though. I just got a 10' whip antenna for Christmas from my brother :thumb: I mounted it to the tire stop in the back so that it wouldn't swing and rub all my paint off

Your install looks real nice and clean :cool:
Ya, I got the CB for Christmas and I have to buy an antenna, I know the long whip antenna's work very well so that maybe the way to go. I am thinking about the dual 2 foot antennas that will go right above the rear tail lights. I have brackets with extra mounting spots already to go because I have a roof rack bar with extra mounts The mic was really tough to decide where to put it. I wanted it close but still down and out of the way so I was forced to put the clip sideways.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I was surprised what Radio Shack had in their store for antennas. I thought I would have to go to a truck stop. I didn't want the fiberglass antennas. The metal one I got came from a a guy that makes them here in NC, but the mount is the same as the aluminum one they sell at RadioShack for $15

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but I had thought CB's went out of style by the early 80's. How is it still useful in this day and age of cell phones?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but I had thought CB's went out of style by the early 80's. How is it still useful in this day and age of cell phones?
A cb is a must if you wheel with groups of other people. It's the only time I use mine.

There is no cell service where I took this pic.

To the OP, looks great. That is one clean yj ya got :thumb:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I just got mine and need to mount it. I like how you did it a lot. I just don't want to get rid of my 12v outlet.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They did go out of style but function is another story. I love the CB for many reasons...so I will list why I put one in.

1. When I am in the dunes or away from camp I can hand someone at camp a walkie-talkie on a channel and I can talk to them. The CB has a lot more range than another walkie-talkie.

2. Off Roading on a trail here is San Diego, the boarder patrol use the emergency band so if I am getting robbed or run into some trouble there maybe a unit somewhere near by I don't know about.

3. Convoy

4. Emergency Notices.... CB radio bands get the best up to date information in the area of emergency broadcasts

5. Weather Scan, I get minute by minute weather info and can hear if there is an accident up a head/ rock slides/ avalanche/ fallin tree/ out bridge/ or whatever

6. THE MAIN REASON is because the government is trying to ban "Civilian Band Radio" When the cell phone towers are overloaded in an emergency like a power outage I can talk to people freely. The government does not want people to have freedom of the airwaves. I can go on about this but u get the point.

If anyone has any more feel free to list them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
They did go out of style but function is another story. I love the CB for many reasons...so I will list why I put one in.

1. When I am in the dunes or away from camp I can hand someone at camp a walkie-talkie on a channel and I can talk to them. The CB has a lot more range than another walkie-talkie.

2. Off Roading on a trail here is San Diego, the boarder patrol use the emergency band so if I am getting robbed or run into some trouble there maybe a unit somewhere near by I don't know about.

3. Convoy

4. Emergency Notices.... CB radio bands get the best up to date information in the area of emergency broadcasts

5. Weather Scan, I get minute by minute weather info and can hear if there is an accident up a head/ rock slides/ avalanche/ fallin tree/ out bridge/ or whatever

6. THE MAIN REASON is because the government is trying to ban "Civilian Band Radio" When the cell phone towers are overloaded in an emergency like a power outage I can talk to people freely. The government does not want people to have freedom of the airwaves. I can go on about this but u get the point.

Thank you for enlightening me! Those are some great points. You've convinced me to include a CB radio in my build. :thumb:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, I also can hook up a PA speaker through the mic and bull horn so I can yell at people just like the cops do...honestly, I use it to make train noises when going down the road though :rofl: chica,chica,chica......WooooWoooo!

·
Registered
92 Posts

3. Convoy

They can be useful on long, over-the-road trips too. I've been able to detour around a few large backups/accidents because I heard about them before it was too late.

·
Registered
948 Posts
alcapon1 said:
Oh, I also can hook up a PA speaker through the mic and bull horn so I can yell at people just like the cops do...honestly, I use it to make train noises when going down the road though :rofl: chica,chica,chica......WooooWoooo!
I do the same with my but then just decided to get a real train horn. Haha but I still like yelling at the kids downtown.

·
Registered
948 Posts
d5string said:
I was surprised what Radio Shack had in their store for antennas. I thought I would have to go to a truck stop. I didn't want the fiberglass antennas. The metal one I got came from a a guy that makes them here in NC, but the mount is the same as the aluminum one they sell at RadioShack for $15
I put antenna in the exact same place. How did you run the wire to the outside. Mine is just going through my seal of my top got to fix that.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Has anyone mounted their antenna up front? I don't want it to interfere with taking my top off.
It will not get in the way where I put it. I can un-screw the antenna any time I want to and the mount stays where it is. I thought about where to put it for a while before I mounted it

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I put antenna in the exact same place. How did you run the wire to the outside. Mine is just going through my seal of my top got to fix that.
Funny you ask, I was gonna post that. I rean it right under the rear and through one of the drain plugs at the passenger side rear seat, and a little bit of silicone to seal the hole. That way it can be removed and I didn't have to drill a hole. I have it zip-tied up and out of the way so it will not get snagged on something. I used a 10' coax cable, but wish I got a lilttle more it was just long enough

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but I had thought CB's went out of style by the early 80's. How is it still useful in this day and age of cell phones?​
Always be prepared my friend
There are a lot of things that are not in style or out-dated until you need them. Cb's are a must when you wheel in the mountains. Even at my house here in the sticks, cell phones are almost useless. Mobile phones are depended upon too often IMO.
Plus I really like the weather band. I am a weather nut.
Oh yeah my dad was a truck driver so that may have a little to do with it too :whistling:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

I mounted mine on the inside to protect it a little more.

Here is how I ended up mounting mine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts