Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a cb radio for when I go trail riding. For those of you jeepers who have one, where did you mount it, and how difficult was it?

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
I mounted mine into the console plastic next to the Transfercase lever. It's out of the way and easy to get wired.

Quadratech sells a bracket, but I mounted the CB bracket directly to the plastic.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_200.htm

Some will install them overhead, but then the mic cord is swinging and constantly bangin your head.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I mounted mine down below. Personally, I regret drilling holes down there because I don't like my leg hitting the CB every once in a while.

I'm going to mount my CB radio with an overhead mount from Arizona Rocky Road.. I'm actually going with the same Cobra 29 LX too..

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have the same set up, I just bought the kit and fire stick from Quadratec. My radios speaker is facing the other direction though and I also mounted the mouthpiece up next to the radio. It stretches the cord out and easy to grab.

Had a buddies CB for a while and wondered what the hype was about because I could barely understand anyone. Then I bought this and realized that his cb radio was shit, the antenna makes a big difference and the way you lay the antenna wire in your jeep makes a difference too.

View attachment 173995

View attachment 173996

View attachment 173997

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have the same set up, I just bought the kit and fire stick from Quadratec. My radios speaker is facing the other direction though and I also mounted the mouthpiece up next to the radio. It stretches the cord out and easy to grab.

Had a buddies CB for a while and wondered what the hype was about because I could barely understand anyone. Then I bought this and realized that his cb radio was shit, the antenna makes a big difference and the way you lay the antenna wire in your jeep makes a difference too.

View attachment 173995

View attachment 173996

View attachment 173997
Would you happen to know the size of that antenna? Is that a 3ft or a 4ft?

·
Registered
727 Posts
4ft

·
Registered
359 Posts

Arizona mount bar, cobra cb. Puts it out of the way, but easy to use.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Could one of you guys with the rocky road mounts post a few detailed pics. I have a few ideas along those lines bouncing around my head. I never have seen any pictures other than a cb in the middle overhead with a bar under it.

·
Registered
33,540 Posts
Homemade mount above the rear veiw mirror about $6.

·
Registered
33,540 Posts
Can I See a more detailed pic of that I'm considering something simular.
This is the best pic I have. Basically a piece of flat 16guage steel bent and screwed to the windshield frame. Then I cut a slot into the plastic so it would stick out and then mounted the CB.

·
Registered
33,540 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Now that I see this thread, I am getting the feeling I need a CB on the Jeep, I will ask the Local Groups to see if they are using them. Good thread.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Moabrubi....

Any tricks to getting the front part of your dash off to mount the Bracketron?
I have pretty much the same set up to install but haven't yet in fear of breaking the dash face.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Heres my setup. Midland 75-822, bracketron mount, 3' firestik. I like this setup for its portability. I dont have to worry about anyone stealing my radio with the top down because i can disconnect it in 2 seconds.

View attachment 174008

View attachment 174009
Exactly what I plan on doing.
And if you have to walk away from the Jeep you can pop the battery and BNC antenna on it and take it with you.

Amazon.com: Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio: Electronics

Do you have a picture of you antenna plug set up? I want to mount mine in the small panel next to the 12v sockets.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Johnnymoto said:
Now that I see this thread, I am getting the feeling I need a CB on the Jeep, I will ask the Local Groups to see if they are using them. Good thread.
The greatest part about CB's is it cuts down the amount of stop and go that can be experienced when wheeling because you can just get on the radio and ask "when we gonna eat? Which way, left, right? Which trail? Green? Blue? Black?....." Without them everybody ends up stopping and gettin out to chat about which trail to go down which turns into what did you do to your jeep, what more are you gonna do and this is what I am going to do to my jeep. I have absolutely no problem with these conversations, just not 20 times when wheeling. To sum it all up, get a CB and convince everyone in Your group to get one if they don't already!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts