Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a new cb radio and I dnt know where to put it on my 98 wrangler sport. I want to put it In a safe place and not so noticeable to thieves. Any suggestions and pic of where ur cb are welcome too! ( cb is about 6 inches long and about 4 inch wide and 2 inches thick lol thanks again

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
A good out of the way location that is also very handy is by screwing its mount to the central rollbar hoop. The speaker is near your ear and the microphone can drop straight down to rest in a cup holder when you're using it. That is how I mounted mine years ago before installing an overhead bracket that allowed it to be mounted above the mirror instead.

Or for more $$$, the Arizona Road mount places the CB over the top of the mirror as I show in the 2nd photo that I recently mounted in my replacement Jeep (my first Jeep was recently stolen). Here's a link to it...
ARIZONA ROCKY ROAD ANTENNA MOUNTS FOR JEEP WRANGLER, UNLIMITED AND LIBERTY

Best too to connect your new CB's power directly to the battery for the least amount of electrical noise. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
772 Posts
been wondering the same thing. PO had one in it but it was one of those cobra remote units w/just the mike for everything and been considering getting ons since he left all the wireing/hook ups but have several laying around and just rather save the $$ and use one of them.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
The Cobra 75WXT that has the remote microphone with the controls on it works well in a car but it's not a good choice for a noisy Jeep. Its speaker is inside the microphone and it is, by necessity, extremely tiny which makes for a tinny low-volume output. At the very least you should also install an external speaker so you'll be able to hear the CB as you drive when your top is off or on the highway when the soft top is buffeting.

Personally, I'd buy a Uniden or Midland before I'd buy a Cobra whose quality, in my personal opinion, has dropped in recent years. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does mounting right over and kinda behind you make it difficult to make any adjustments? I'm just wondering. I was thinking about gettin a CB myself.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Mounting it like is in the first position made me wonder the same thing but it worked out fine. You can see the channel # in the mirror (you get used to it being backwards) and the volume/squelch knobs are fine too. You don't have to adjust them that often but if you do, it's easy to just reach up and adjust them without looking behind you. That location actually works pretty well in reality, especially that it places its speaker so close to your ear which makes it great for highway use in a noisy Jeep.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
jerry, week in chicago-what did you do wrong?? :)
bout 35 mi nw of there
Yeah really, it's starting to get cold back there! :eek: :D Starting a new job with a business consulting firm. They are HQ'd just NW of Chicago in Palatine (maybe be near you!) so I have to go back for a week of training.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm good suggestions but I have my fire extinguisher mounted on the roll bar right in front of the dome light :( so if I mount me cb ther then where would my extinguisher go! I've been meaning to relocate it but dnt know where. Suggestions?

·
Registered
772 Posts
probably 7-10 mi south of me yet. used to work there yrs ago-maybe a 20 min trip-lots of traffic when i was on the road. good luck with the job and training-with any luck indian summer will last for a while longer. a week ago and you could have experienced our 70 mph winds-was alot of fun driving my 'brick' 3 hrs a day while it lasted.

·
Registered
828 Posts
i mounted mine in the front of the console against the dash, it works good here for me, the mic is on the left of the left middle vent (..lol..does thst make sens?) i aldo added an external peaker that is on top of the dash, all the way to the left, against the winshield frame.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Hmm good suggestions but I have my fire extinguisher mounted on the roll bar right in front of the dome light :( so if I mount me cb ther then where would my extinguisher go! I've been meaning to relocate it but dnt know where. Suggestions?
Worst possible places for a fire extinguisher, that thing is right at head height. Imagine what it could hit from flying out in an accident. :eek:

This is where I have my five lb. extinguisher mounted... out of the way, easy to get to, safe, and I can get to it from my seat... not to mention others can get to it in an emergency by simply opening my door. No, my feet never get even close to it or notice its presence. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
i've got mine like jerry's old method with it up on the roll bar. i didnt want to drill into it so i have giant hose clamps clamping the mount to the bar. 3 of them actually (used 2 at first then added a third when i put a remote speaker for my ham radio up there as well.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I ran the wire for it under the door jamb, up the roll cage and zip tied the speaker right behind my head on the rollbar. I can hear it doing 65 with the top off, if I'm paying attention...

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Is there a place to wire an external speaker though? I was gonna get one of these but if the only speaker is in the mic I am having second thoughts
Yes it has a jack for an external speaker. I have an external speaker setup on mine mounted on the roll bar near the driver side headrest.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts