Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this possible? Feed it through aux input or something? Would seem to make more sense than installing an external speaker just for the CB radio.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I did use my ext out to in from cb to radio in my TJ, but IIRC it only came out one speaker.
You would think the 29lxbt cobra could connect to it, but it appears it only works with phones.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
678 Posts
Probably depends on the unit, but with mine you can (Cobra 75 WXST). There's a 3.5mm output jack that you can run to the aux input and it'll come through the speakers.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Depending on the audio system and the CB. I know I can do it on mine, but then I lose the tunes, so I use an external speaker for the CB.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,955 Posts
Probably depends on the unit, but with mine you can (Cobra 75 WXST). There's a 3.5mm output jack that you can run to the aux input and it'll come through the speakers.
While that kinda works, it's not the recommended way to go. A CB's output jack is a low (8 ohm) impedance output that outputs several watts of power meant to drive a speaker. An aux input port on a car radio is a high impedance input and it's designed for very low non-amplified audio like would come out of a line out (non amplified) jack. Turning the CB volume up too loudly could overpower the aux input circuitry and damage it, or at the least cause a lot of distortion in the audio heard in the car radio speaker.

If you really wanted to do that, you can install a speaker-level to line output power converter that would match the CB's speaker output jack power and impedance to match the requirements of the aux input jack of the car radio. Personally I'd just install a small aux communications speaker and plug it into the external speaker jack of the CB and not bother trying to get it to play through the stereo speakers. Especially since those small communications speakers are optimized for the voice frequencies that can make them more understandable than normal stereo speakers can.

·
Registered
678 Posts
While that kinda works, it's not the recommended way to go. A CB's output jack is a low (8 ohm) impedance output that outputs several watts of power meant to drive a speaker. An aux input port on a car radio is a high impedance input and it's designed for very low non-amplified audio like would come out of an MP3 player. Turning the CB volume up too loudly could overpower the aux input circuitry and damage it, or at the least cause a lot of distortion in the audio heard in the car radio speaker.

If you really wanted to do that, you can install a speaker-level to line output power converter that would match the CB's speaker output jack power and impedance to match the requirements of the aux input jack of the car radio. Personally I'd just install a small aux communications speaker and plug it into the external speaker jack of the CB and not bother trying to get it to play through the stereo speakers. Especially since those small communications speakers are optimized for the voice frequencies that can make them more understandable than normal stereo speakers can.
I had no idea - that's really interesting, thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts