Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was just talking to a few people about what CB radio to get also. Seems like the cobra 75 handheld is a popular choice. I think it runs about 100 but don't quote me on that I forgot exactly.

I'm having the cobra 75 installed with the cool tech LLC steel bracket mount for antenna! That mount is a little on the pricey side ($90) but teraflex also makes a mount for $25 in black.

I've also seen people make their own brackets.
:)

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I have the wallyworld special Cobra 19 ($39) with the above mentioned TF ant mount bracket and firestik 4'. With cables, ant mount and the rest ran abour $130 for the whole package. My wife has the Cobra 75 handheld with the FS 4' & TF bracket. We both also have ext speakers. Between the $100 75 and the $40 19, I dont see any difference between them other than the 75 is a more convient system

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was just talking to a few people about what CB radio to get also. Seems like the cobra 75 handheld is a popular choice. I think it runs about 100 but don't quote me on that I forgot exactly. I'm having the cobra 75 installed with the cool tech LLC steel bracket mount for antenna! That mount is a little on the pricey side ($90) but teraflex also makes a mount for $25 in black. I've also seen people make their own brackets. :)
Cobra^

·
Registered
64 Posts
Stryker is the top of the line, most all CB radios are now built in China, or Korea. I run a galaxiy with a scanner, problem with the Wrangler is there is a serious lack of an antenna plain, so you need an antenna with a bottom loader, any CB you invest in, your antenna will make or break your transmit and receive power, even if you use a kicker, your antenna will control your reception. I mounted my bottom loader on the right rear quarter panel, has same performance as a 102 inch whip. I am good for about 10 miles, depending on the temperature, and time of the day. Just my. 2 cents

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Stryker is not top of the line. They are all 10M ham radios. They are not legal to use for CB. Most of the Galaxy radios are the same, but they do make a few real CB models.

For CB stay with Uniden, Midland, or Cobra.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would suggest the Galaxy 959 if you want to go for a full size CB.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
X3 for Uniden. I have the 520XL. Works perfect on the trails. I also have the Arizona Rocky Road overhead mount to get up and out of the way. 3' firestik and my reception comes in nice and clear. The important part is wiring the cb directly to the battery. Dont try and tie in to the cigarette lighter or dome light or anything, then you will pick up a lot of interference. Making sure your antenna is properly grounded too is another thing people overlook. My 520xl is wired straight to the battery, and the antenna is properly grounded with bare metal contact (requires sanding some paint off), and my SWR is 1.3

·
Registered
115 Posts
Full size radio is the way to go. I've got a Cobra 29LX. Get it tuned at a CB shop too. After having my radio tuned and SWR checked, My radio does a fantastic job for me.
I also run a 102" steel whip antenna. That helps a lot

But it really comes down to your space requirements and if you want it in the Jeep at all times.

Mine is mounted up on the dash, so removing it every night is a pita...I never had much luck with handhelds, so a FS was the way to go.

-Chris

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
The Uniden and a 2' Firestick does everything I want it to do. It gets out well and is clear. We really only use cb's between Jeeps on the trail, so we are typically less than a mile apart. I like the idea of the short antenna not getting hung up in trees and stuff.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I was just talking to a few people about what CB radio to get also. Seems like the cobra 75 handheld is a popular choice. I think it runs about 100 but don't quote me on that I forgot exactly.

I'm having the cobra 75 installed with the cool tech LLC steel bracket mount for antenna! That mount is a little on the pricey side ($90) but teraflex also makes a mount for $25 in black.

I've also seen people make their own brackets.
:)
This is the unit I run and I have had great experiences with it. In a group run, I am usually the anchor or lead jeep and I don't have any issues communicating with the group. I do like the stealth capability of the CB, when I am not wheeling - I simply disconnect the unit and remove from sight. I also run a 2' Firestick that I coupled with a "quick disconnect" for the same purpose of removal and "out of sight" when not in use.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
I have experience with the Cobra 75 and its speaker is way too tiny to produce much volume since it is built into the microphone. And if you turn the volume up so it can be heard in a noisy environment, it distorts too much. Unless you drive a Jeep with a really quiet interior, that particular radio really needs an auxiliary external speaker plugged into it so it can be heard loud & clear which negates its ease of installation.

Personally, the two brands I recommend are Uniden and Midland... both are solid performing radios. I've had a Uniden Pro-520XL in my TJs for 20 years now, it's a solid performer that can be found for <$50 all over the internet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just installed 2 Uniden 520XLs in my TJ and daughters JK. Used the TerraFlex tailight mount on the TJ and the TF spare tire mount on the JK. Ran a separate ground wire to both mounts, and used 4' Firestiks. Haven't had much chance to test them out other than driving one Jeep a couple of miles down the road and trying them. Worked fine and we really only want them for trail use, so I'm happy so far. Got everything from these folks. .CB Radios & CB Antennas - Cobra, Uniden, Wilson, K40 & Firestik
Even if you buy elsewhere, there is a lot of useful info on their site.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I also bought the 520xl/firestik/teraflex mount/swr meter kit from right channel radios, got a medium duty spring too. Top notch folks, great service, fast shipping, decent prices (at least when I was shopping for mine). Anyhow, I'm happy with my gear and really impressed with the company I purchased it from.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well, I'm still using my old Radio Shack Special with a 3' Firestik, but when I did my latest install I added a MOLEX connector on the back of the radio. Now I have a decent-sized radio with a decent speaker that I can disconnect easily (about a minute to pop the connector and unscrew the antenna cable). Works good, lasts a LONG time. When it finally gives up the ghost I'll replace it with a Uniden or Midland radio, but it shows no signs of quitting any time soon.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have to give props to the Uniden Pro-520XL. I use a Uniden bearcat external speaker mounted low on the drivers A-piller and a 3' fire stick and it talks great, sounds great.
Very pleased with it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts