Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler, and i am sure this question has been asked before, but i can not find a straight answer. Hope you guys can help me out :popcorn:

Ok so i installed my CB radio on the passengers side Shifter and it fits well.

The problem i am having is where to run the wires to the battery, I bought the Uniden 510XL and the cord is pretty short so i need to go right through the firewall to the battery...

I have used the Cigaret Lighter plug and it works good, but i am still getting quite a bit of feedback, it may be my antenna i have a Firestik Firefly and it is mounted behind the passengers tail light.

I have also tried plugging it in to the fuse box but again feedback when i turn the car on, when it is not running but just the battery is it is all good, but as soon as i turn on the car engine and stuffs... i get massive feedback like i said above..

If ANYONE has any suggestions PICTURES PLEASE, i would love to see how you have it wired and if you know what i did wrong to get so much feedback please tell me so i can fix it before i go out on the trails, i am only 17 so i am not that good when it comes to "Life Experience" When it comes to Jeeps :banghead:

Thanks Everyone :wavy:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
There are rubber grommets you can take out or cut a hole in and run it through. Just get a flashlight and look behind the brake and gas pedals. That's where I ran mine.

If its too short go to autozone and get a wire stretcher.

Just kidding. Just get more wire and connectors and make it longer

Also get wire loom that may or may not help. I use it so the wire doesn't show and makes it look more professional

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
An inline noise filter will do wonders as well.

·
Registered
568 Posts
If its too short go to autozone and get a wire stretcher.
:rofl:

They sell that right by the blinker fluid :dance:

X2 on the noise filter, the rubber grouments mentioned above are easy to poke a hole in to run the wire through, just take a razor and make an x in said groment and run wire and loom through then push groment back in place

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
If you have a manual transmission, there is a big black unused rubber grommet just above and to the right of the accelerator pedal that plugs the hole that is used for the automatic transmission's shifter cable. That's where I used to run all my wiring through when I still had a manual transmission. Just drill a small hole through the grommet and pass the wiring through it.

A CB will usually be noisy unless you power it directly from the battery. 12 gauge wiring is fine for powering your CB. And there is an ideal spot just in front of the battery for picking up the +12 volts for the CB... at the very rear of the Power Distribution Center enclosure which is located directly in front of the battery, there is a small snap-off cover that protects a stud and nut that provides +12v to the Power Distribution Center. AFTER DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY'S NEGATIVE CONNECTOR for safety reasons, you can crimp a connector on the CB radio's red power lead and connect it to that small stud after removing the nut. The CB's black ground lead can be connected to any good ground connection like what the battery's negative connector is grounded to.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If you have a manual transmission, there is a big black unused rubber grommet just above and to the right of the accelerator pedal that plugs the hole that is used for the automatic transmission's shifter cable. That's where I used to run all my wiring through when I still had a manual transmission. Just drill a small hole through the grommet and pass the wiring through it.

A CB will usually be noisy unless you power it directly from the battery. 12 gauge wiring is fine for powering your CB. And there is an ideal spot just in front of the battery for picking up the +12 volts for the CB... at the very rear of the Power Distribution Center enclosure which is located directly in front of the battery, there is a small snap-off cover that protects a stud and nut that provides +12v to the Power Distribution Center. AFTER DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY'S NEGATIVE CONNECTOR for safety reasons, you can crimp a connector on the CB radio's red power lead and connect it to that small stud after removing the nut. The CB's black ground lead can be connected to any good ground connection like what the battery's negative connector is grounded to.

And If you have an auto trans then there will be a clutch master cyl block off plate on the firewall that you only have to remove two bolts to have about a 1" hole to use for all your thru the firewall needs.

Donn

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
And If you have an auto trans then there will be a clutch master cyl block off plate on the firewall that you only have to remove two bolts to have about a 1" hole to use for all your thru the firewall needs.

Donn
That's the same hole I moved all my wiring to when I converted from the 5-speed to an automatic transmission. What a PITA, none of the wiring was long enough to make it after being routed through that further-to-the-side firewall hole.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys for all The Help! I think i am going to use the hole to the right of the Break petal, and My Blinker Fluid was running low and i will try the wire stretcher before i go buying more wires.

And Jerry, if you have a picture of you CB hooded up to your battery that would be helpful, if you don't mind. I would like to have a visual representation for good measures but i will go out and buy some extra wire and get it all hooked up.

So again Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
That's the same hole I moved all my wiring to when I converted from the 5-speed to an automatic transmission. What a PITA, none of the wiring was long enough to make it after being routed through that further-to-the-side firewall hole.
I knew there was a drawback to converting from manual to auto.

Donn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts