Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ordering this CB from amazon and I would like to avoid hard wiring the power and considering using a cigarette lighter plugAmazon.com : Midland 1001Z 40-Channel CB Radio : Two Way Radios : Electronics
Cigarette lighter plug like this one:Amazon.com: Roadpro 12V Fused Replacement Cigarette Lighter Plug with Leads: Automotive
Any experiences with this?
My idea is to leave the coax tucked away and only have the cb in the jeep when going on a run/necessary and plug-in and unplug easily for use and removal. Also i dont have the coin to buy one of those handheld cb's so they are out of the question .

·
Super Moderator
22,504 Posts
that is how I do mine. I only have it in my jeep when off roading the rest of the time I take it out. I just wired the cigarette lighter plug that was a few dollars at walmart to the cb and tuck the coax under the passenger side floor matt. I have Velcro on the side of my console and that is where I put the CB when I am using it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is how I do mine. I only have it in my jeep when off roading the rest of the time I take it out. I just wired the cigarette lighter plug that was a few dollars at walmart to the cb and tuck the coax under the passenger side floor matt. I have Velcro on the side of my console and that is where I put the CB when I am using it.
Thats good to know did you change the fuse in either cb or lighter plug?

·
Super Moderator
22,504 Posts
no just kept both fuses.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I use a portable CB by Midland. It runs off the cigarette lighter or on AA batteries. The range is limited and I would not recommend for a trucker or regular highway use, but it is perfect for wheeling. I like the fact that the antenna is attached to the radio, so I don't have to run any wires. Its also nice to be able to take the CB with you and still talk to your buddies, even if you get out of your Jeep. I find that it runs better of AA batteries than when plugged into the Jeep, which sometimes causes electrical interference.

Amazon.com : Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio : Two Way Radios : Electronics.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am ordering this CB from amazon and I would like to avoid hard wiring the power and considering using a cigarette lighter plugAmazon.com : Midland 1001Z 40-Channel CB Radio : Two Way Radios : Electronics
Cigarette lighter plug like this one:Amazon.com: Roadpro 12V Fused Replacement Cigarette Lighter Plug with Leads: Automotive
Any experiences with this?
My idea is to leave the coax tucked away and only have the cb in the jeep when going on a run/necessary and plug-in and unplug easily for use and removal. Also i dont have the coin to buy one of those handheld cb's so they are out of the question .
should be fine if you are close to who you are transmitting to. will be very noisy un squelched but will be fine for trail talking .

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just ordered the midland handheld to use this weekend. Hoping it has the range cause I don't plan on mounting it or getting an antenna.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I run mine through the cigarette lighter as well. It's trail use mostly and occasionally we turn it on while on the highway to listen to the offensive things truckers say. But it works just fine and I transmit with very little background noise. Now if the guys I wheel with would get theirs working I would actually get to use it. Last weekend I just took my antenna off because the 4' one whacks the trees and no one else had a CB that worked worth a crap.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Had to do CB Radio work on a Jeep JK. The client had bought an power adapter off of radio shack and for some reason, he was able to receive signals and hear people but no one could hear him transmit. When we were a few feet from him, his radio would do weird things. We could hear muffled talk on different channels. For example, if he went to channel 1, we could hear him on channel 16 yet we couldn't hear him on any other channels.

So I tried to wire the radio straight to the battery and that seemed to take care of the problem.

·
Super Moderator
22,504 Posts
Had to do CB Radio work on a Jeep JK. The client had bought an power adapter off of radio shack and for some reason, he was able to receive signals and hear people but no one could hear him transmit. When we were a few feet from him, his radio would do weird things. We could hear muffled talk on different channels. For example, if he went to channel 1, we could hear him on channel 16 yet we couldn't hear him on any other channels.

So I tried to wire the radio straight to the battery and that seemed to take care of the problem.
strange indeed. Both Cobra and uniden say it is perfectly ok to use a cigarette adaptor. Several in my group have them wired this way and never had an issue either close or up to a mile or so away. We have all tuned our firesticks and maybe that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I just ordered the midland handheld to use this weekend. Hoping it has the range cause I don't plan on mounting it or getting an antenna.
I have the midland 75-822 handheld and using the built-in antenna gave me range of less than a 1/4 mile. Ok if you're in a tight group, but the transmitting range is not ideal, especially if you get spread out a little on the trails.

I later bought a 3' firestik firefly antenna mounted on a quick disconnect. It extends about a foot above my roof line. I've had no problems running off the cigarette lighter. My range is now 2-3 miles with virtually no noise transmitting or receiving. I do have my firestik tuned well with swr readings less than 1.5 on all channels.

I can remove both the handheld and the antenna when I'm not using the jeep for off-roading. Perfect for my use.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no just kept both fuses.
How are you covering the expose coax? I just did my install and instead of going the lighter route i just hardwired to the battery but used quick disconnects
But the ring on the coax now jingles when not hooked u

image-2435962848.jpg

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I just tuck mine back up behind the plastic trim piece above and to the right where yours comes out. I never hear it making any noise when it is back in there and there is plenty of space in there to hide it.

·
Super Moderator
22,504 Posts
I just run mine up under the plastic or under the floor matt either works.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have a Cobra, about the same size as that one.
I used a piece of Velcro and stuck it in the console on the rear face of the bin.
Plugs in to the power point, I can store the mic in there with it and the antennae cable comes out the cord notch on the passenger side.
Plenty of volume to hear it with the lid closed on the highway.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a Cobra, about the same size as that one. I used a piece of Velcro and stuck it in the console on the rear face of the bin. Plugs in to the power point, I can store the mic in there with it and the antennae cable comes out the cord notch on the passenger side. Plenty of volume to hear it with the lid closed on the highway.
Any pictures?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts