Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, but i just need some quick advice. i noticed that alot jeep groups require for u to have a cb radio so im looking into getting one. dont know much about them besides the fact that its pretty much a walkie talkie. does it matter which one i get? im looking at a Midland 75 822 40-channel CB radio. what do u guys think? does it matter what i get?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not sure if it makes a difference whether it is handheld or the ones u have to place in your jeep

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
It shouldn't make a difference in what brand/model or even style. The reason for having them is for safety and for making sure everyone is where they need to be and so on. If you are unsure as to what kind or where to mount one then check with other club members and I'd be willing to bet that they would all help you out.

Another option would be a simple walkie-talkie style like you mentioned. They still transmit at the same output as the standard mobile radios and some even have a 1 watt switch so you don't 'blow the ears off' of your fellow Jeepers! The one you linked to is an excellent hand-held unit.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright then i think ill stick to the handheld so i dont have to go through the hassle of mounting an antenna and all that fun stuff

·
Registered
23 Posts
Standard CBs usually transmit signals using an antenna mounted on top of
the vehicle so they can cover a reliable range of a few miles (or longer
depending on the terrain). While hand-held ones may only be good for a few
hundred yards - enough for a small wheeling group though.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, but i just need some quick advice. i noticed that alot jeep groups require for u to have a cb radio so im looking into getting one. dont know much about them besides the fact that its pretty much a walkie talkie. does it matter which one i get? im looking at a Midland 75 822 40-channel CB radio. what do u guys think? does it matter what i get?
I have this unit and it works very well. It is easy to set up in your console where it can be locked and no brackets or permanent mounting. You can take it from the vehicle easily and use it when trail guiding as a handheld out of the vehicle. You WILL need an external antenna, the reception in the vehicle with the stubby antenna is not acceptable. Check out a firestick antenna and a mounting solution such as a bracket in the rear icense plate or behind the spare. You will also need a SWR meter to tune the antenna. There are tutorials on youtube about tuning, and the bracket and location are a personal choice, so cruise some of the CB threads to get an idea of which bracket location you want to use. Good Luck!

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
I have this unit and it works very well. It is easy to set up in your console where it can be locked and no brackets or permanent mounting. You can take it from the vehicle easily and use it when trail guiding as a handheld out of the vehicle. You WILL need an external antenna, the reception in the vehicle with the stubby antenna is not acceptable. Check out a firestick antenna and a mounting solution such as a bracket in the rear icense plate or behind the spare. You will also need a SWR meter to tune the antenna. There are tutorials on youtube about tuning, and the bracket and location are a personal choice, so cruise some of the CB threads to get an idea of which bracket location you want to use. Good Luck!
Spot on! :thumb:
Personally I went with the Midland 75-785, but for exactly the same reasons.
Well, that and I think it will look jarring to just start bolting things to the new style interior.

Also going with rear mounted antennas (one for ham radio, 73 DE N2NLQ), but keeping it low to play nice with the trees.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My experience with Walkie-Talkies is not good. Most only reach out one to three miles, and that is with line of sight free of all obstructions. The permanent mounted CBs dependably provide me a minimum of five miles up to twenty miles of range no matter what the terrain. I tried several handhelds. The only exception I found was if I had a handheld with an external antenna, like a 102 whip or 4 foot long Firestick.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For over forty-years I have run CB Radios in my 4x4s. My units are dependable and always reach out ten miles. If I am stuck, or in a large group, I want to be heard when I key the mic, and I want to clearly hear what people are saying.
The gadget radios, like cheap walkie-talkies, Cobra 75 one-hander units, and the coax/antenna kits that are all made up are just a waste of money. What is the sense of having a radio that is hard to listen to, or will only transmit for a mile or so? For a minor investment, a real tool of communication will last for years and be reliable when needed.
Here is a minimum typical set up. Anything less is not acceptable.

$120 Cobra 25 LTD (New includes the microphone, radio bracket, power cord and mic clip.)
$35 Tune Up for increased range.
$25 Antenna (Firestick 4 foot w/tuneable tip)
$15 Antenna tune or match.
$25 Coax (Not from a kit, but a high quality Belden Brand w/ Amphenol, Military Grade, soldered-on connectors)
$25 Stainless Steel or Aluminum bracket (Not some powder coated steel one that will be a rust ball in five years.)
$7 Stud to mount the antenna (Stainless steel stud like the Firestick K4A, not some cheap, nickel plated brass stud where the center ultimately pulls out rendering it useless.)
Total the parts would be $202 and the labor to tune the radio and antenna is $40 making a grand total of around $250 with all the screws and bolts to mount it all.
This set up would give a life of service of five to fifteen years of reliable service. Five or ten miles of range will be the norm.
Of course, I am a Ham Radio Operator too, and I have an even better set up as a backup unit, but I rely on my CB Radio for the day-to-day stuff.

If you want to go with VHF or UHF, then just double the price on the list above and be done with it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
What exactly is a "tune up?"

I'm a ham. It seems to me that 4 watts is 4 watts. You may get a better speaker or a cooler looking display with expensive CBs but they aren't necessarily better over greater distances. Your power is restricted so it comes down to your antenna really.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'd go with a cb as it will be mounted and always be in the same place, whereas "walkie-talkies" tend to be left in different places, get dropped, roll around and might not be at hand when you really need it.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
I installed this unit (midland 75-822) today along with the ultramount kit ($89). It looks great mounted through the rear bumper and the 4' firestick sticks about a foot above the roofline. The CB speaker output can hook directly into your radio AUX input. Installation instructions were pretty good and it took me several hours with lots of coffeee breaks. If I were to do it again it wouldn't run much longer that 30-45 minutes now that it was done once. A unibit drill bit really helps to make the hole clean. Routing the coax to the arm rest storage compartment was easy once I figured out how to pull the interior plastic cover off the inside rear quarter area. I drilled a hole that enters on the lower front driver side of the storage compartment so the cabling is invisible.

I still need to tune it. I wasn't willing to spend $37 at radio shack for a SWR kit or I'll buy one from amazon for $12 and change. So I'll do this down the road (or pay someone if I can't find a buddy with one).

·
Registered
315 Posts
Do you need still need that 10 foot long antenna to use a cb
Hah not anymore. Remember when everyone used to drill the side of their vehicles to mount that big spring for the whip?????:rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Goter..........

....done today, all thats left is tuning the antenna :whistling:

You know, it may be my old-age, but it takes me twice as long to do something so it otta :whistling:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts