Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to put a 5 or 4 foot firestick on the back of my JK will a spring coil make a difference it will be in-between the spare and the tailgate and is a quick disconnect a good idea ?:beerme:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I can only speak of using a 4' fire stick with a quick disconnect. Nice if I want to pull into my garage but it does smack trees and you know it. They are strong so I'm not worried. I've driven behind others with the spring coil mount. Nice on the trails hitting branches but it does "wag" a lot!
As far as a difference in radio performance....I don't know. I'd have to use an SWR meter to find out if it can be tuned within acceptable limitations.
Sometimes I really do wish I had a spring mount to be honest.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I can only speak of using a 4' fire stick with a quick disconnect. Nice if I want to pull into my garage but it does smack trees and you know it. They are strong so I'm not worried. I've driven behind others with the spring coil mount. Nice on the trails hitting branches but it does "wag" a lot!
As far as a difference in radio performance....I don't know. I'd have to use an SWR meter to find out if it can be tuned within acceptable limitations.
Sometimes I really do wish I had a spring mount to be honest.
I'm with John on this. Spring mounted antenna flop around a lot.

Mine is mounted between the spare and the back of the Jeep also. You definately know when you catch a branch with it but I don't think a spring would make a difference other than letting it flop side to side and I think that would be more annoying than having it occasionally hit my hard or soft tops.

I think a quick disconnect is absolutely required. If you ever need to go into a parking garage the antenna needs to come off and digging out tools to do it is a pain.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
(1) why do you need a 4-5 foot antenna? Everyone I wheel with has 2 and 3 foot positioned to just make it over the top, and we communicate just fine all over the trails here. Having a super long antenna does go well with the angry birds grille at the mall I suppose.

(2) Regardless of what size antenna you get, be sure to get the HD spring and you won’t wag like a dogs tail. My 3 foot with the HD barely moves unless it needs too. Had a buddy switch from the standard spring to the HD and it was a very noticeable change.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
3ft is enough and doesn't get in the way too much. I had a spring on mine for a while and all it did was swing and slap on the highway.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a spring coil and a quick disconnect. I would not get a high antenna as it will hit branches all the time. Mine comes up a few inches over my roofline. I don't even use my CB radio. Everyone I know uses ham.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts