Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my cb was all hooked up and worked. Hadn't swr'd it yet but could still hear others chatter. Now it doesn't work at all. I checked the connections and they're good. Any ideas? Red wire is on the positive pole of the battery and black is going to a ground screw on the underside of the hood.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Check the ground again. Common problem. Try jumpering another pos and neg to c if the unit is still ok maybe.
Troy

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would try the ground on negative battery terminal. If that doesn't help check if there is a fuse.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Haven't checked fuses. Could be a fuse even when wired directly to the battery?
If this is wired directly positive to battery, the line needs a fuse. Seriously. Within 2' or so of the battery connection.

To your OP, as others have said look into the ground and (hopefully) fuse(s). I bet that local ground is no good, though.

Test lights/DMMs can be very helpful here. Test for power @ radio, then ground; that'll tell you if it is wiring side or radio side.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
The fuse in the radio's positive wrie. Usuall a white or black plastic capsule looking thing.

Unless you cut it off when installing.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
As sparky said, there will be an inline fuse from the cb on the pos. wire.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
You up and running again?

Glad it was an easy one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I assume you have an antenna attached. Was it a 1 or 2 amp fuse? I would remove the mike from the unit then turn it on. Just to make sure you don't have high SWR and a stuck mike button. Is there a chance the antenna could be open or shorted?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts