Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I finished installing my CB and I have a reading over 3 on channels 1 and 40 and I can't figure out what the issue is. Details:

1. I have a Uniden 520xl Pro
2. Teraflex spare tire mount, powder coated
3. Braided copper grounding strap secured to mount and to body tub. I sanded paint off of the contact points at both ends.
4. RG8x antenna cable
5. Firestick FS II antenna
6. Power supplied direct from battery positive terminal
7. Ground from radio is connected to body grounding point inside the engine bay.

I can't figure out where I have an issue. Everything I read says I probably have a bad ground somewhere, but everything I check seems like it's done correctly. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
If it is not the ground at the antenna mount, maybe how antenna is mounted? all the washers have to be in he right order. I know I had the same problem and it was the ground.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
here is a diagram for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like the stud is on correctly. I'll try and rerun the ground wire from the mount to the tub. Maybe I didn't scrape enough powder coat and paint off.

·
Super Moderator
22,100 Posts
Looks like the stud is on correctly. I'll try and rerun the ground wire from the mount to the tub. Maybe I didn't scrape enough powder coat and paint off.
I have the same set up and you have to get every last piece of powdercoating on the underneath side of the tf bracket.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Mount and carrier or better still, mount and tailgate. The upper antenna base must be insulated from the mount with the insulating washer. Just as that diagram in post #4 shows.

I just set up 3 radios this way last week. All 3 radios the SWR readings came in at 1.25 or less at channel 1 and 40.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
You grounded the mount? Did you remove some paint/powdercoat from the bottom side of the antenna mount where your coax connects? I did. And removed powder from around one mounting bolt hole and I did not run a ground wire and I got good continuity and an SWR of 1.1 and 1.3 respectively?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only place I removed powder coat on the bracket was around one of the mounting holes, just a little, where the grounding wire connects. I'm going to sand the whole thing today and hope that's the source of the problem. Why does Teraflex powder coat this thing completely if this is a problem?

·
Super Moderator
22,100 Posts
The only place I removed powder coat on the bracket was around one of the mounting holes, just a little, where the grounding wire connects. I'm going to sand the whole thing today and hope that's the source of the problem. Why does Teraflex powder coat this thing completely if this is a problem?
cheaper then only powder coating part of it. It would be one extra step if they left the area underneath the antenna mount bare.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mine was the same way when I first checked it, but I had the tunable tip all the way in. I adjusted it like half way out and was able to find a sweet spot that had enough room for me to tune it correctly.

I didn't use a ground strap though. I took the pc off around and inside the hole for the antenna, and did the same on the bolt holes for the mounting bolts. No grinding on the Jeep paint this time.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I sanded all the powder coat off the mount today and immediately got to a 1.2 to 1.3 ratio on channel 1 vs 40!

I was frustrated with this, so thanks to the forum for the help - you guys are the best.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Glad you got it all sorted out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts