Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read and read and can't seem to find any info on this problem. Whenever I talk to other people they can barely hear me through their cb. I receive and hear them just fine. My swr is between 1.3 on 1 and 1.4 on 40 so I wouldn't think that's a worry. Power is straight to the battery rather than in a fuse box. I have a cobra 75. I've got no clue what to do from this point.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Have you tried a different microphone? I had somerhing of a similar issue a few years back and it turned out a new mic resolved the problem.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
^^^^^^^ this......

·
Registered
971 Posts
1st the cobra 75 is not a full featured cb but it should work better than you describe. Have you put a power meter on it to check the output watts?
You might try a different radio connected to your antenna, this will tell you if the problem is the radio or the antenna / coax.
Changing the mic. on the cobra 75 is not a option because much of the electronics is in the handset.
If the power out put is low you could have a bad radio. I don't know if a CB shop can tune or repair a cobra 75 but they could check the output and modulation for you . Also the location of the antenna on the jeep could be a factor causing the signal to be very directional.:)

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I know this sounds silly, but how far away is the mic to your mouth. Try talking closer, about an inch away.

·
Desert Dweller
633 Posts
It would also help to isolate the problem by asking your friends what your RF signal strength is. Are they receiving your signal full strength but low audio or both low signal and low audio.

If full strength and low audio, then something in the transmit audio section is at fault. Maybe someone adjusted the modulation level in the wrong direction. Also, as stated above, a faulty mic could be the problem.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not the antenna or coax. We just swapped them out yesterday on my friends radio to test some swr problems on his cb and they were good to go. I recently switched it from wired through my blue sea fuse box to straight to the battery and that helped momentarily but my vine dropped again

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Sounds like a bad mic. Which is one reason I'm no fan of the Cobra 75, a replacement mic is hard to find locally and it's very expensive. You can get a new complete Uniden Pro520xl CB radio for just over half the cost of a new replacement Cobra 75 Mic from Cobra. I think they're $89 from Cobra. They're as hard to find as hen's teeth anywhere else. I can get a new replacement mic for my Uniden for $10 from a CB shop or truck stop.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've pretty much isolated the problem to the mic itself so rather than buying a new cobra 75 I just ran to Walmart and bought a cobra 19 for the time being. Hooked it all up and it worked great. Thank you guys for your help. I really appreciate it. I was stumped

1 - 11 of 11 Posts