Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumb:O.K. Guys 40+ reads on my other post no takers on air box issue. I sat on top of the engine and heres what is happening. Looking at the Haynes manual and back at mine.They jerry rigged the ccv system. They changed engines at some point and from what I can tell I have parts in the ccv system from different years.I have an 89YJ 2.5L TBI and they left out the evaporation canister, just the bracket where it was, now.With my very limited knowledge of what I'm looking at they plugged most of the lines that went to it.Where the vac lines go into the throttle body I have top 2 hoses plugged into nipples and just below those 2 hoses I have 2 holes in the throttle body, no nipples the hoses just butt up against the throttle body.Back to the air box,the hose that operates the vacuum motor on the butterfly, on the cold air inlet, is broken off right at the vac. motor. Now after reading this, if your confused and you know your way around a2.5L TBI engine, imagine what i'm going thru. THIS JEEP IS ONE STRONG TROOPER, WHY DOES IT EVEN RUN? I will fix her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm serious with this question!!! Can I bypass all this? My thought.Air into valve cover, air out of the valve cover, cold air intake for combustion. I just never done more than check oil & water since the manufactures put this emission equipment on the engines. Oh it was so much easier back then.:wavey:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
:thumb:O.K. Guys 40+ reads on my other post no takers on air box issue. I sat on top of the engine and heres what is happening. Looking at the Haynes manual and back at mine.They jerry rigged the ccv system. They changed engines at some point and from what I can tell I have parts in the ccv system from different years.I have an 89YJ 2.5L TBI and they left out the evaporation canister, just the bracket where it was, now.With my very limited knowledge of what I'm looking at they plugged most of the lines that went to it.Where the vac lines go into the throttle body I have top 2 hoses plugged into nipples and just below those 2 hoses I have 2 holes in the throttle body, no nipples the hoses just butt up against the throttle body.Back to the air box,the hose that operates the vacuum motor on the butterfly, on the cold air inlet, is broken off right at the vac. motor. Now after reading this, if your confused and you know your way around a2.5L TBI engine, imagine what i'm going thru. THIS JEEP IS ONE STRONG TROOPER, WHY DOES IT EVEN RUN? I will fix her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm serious with this question!!! Can I bypass all this? My thought.Air into valve cover, air out of the valve cover, cold air intake for combustion. I just never done more than check oil & water since the manufactures put this emission equipment on the engines. Oh it was so much easier back then.:wavey:

Got a few questions for you lol. You said you have a hose that operates the vacuum motor on the butterfly, on my 2.5 the butterfly is operated mechanically. Is your engine carb'd?

The hose that butts up against the TB housing flange is supposed to run back to the MAP sensor, then the other one goes to a "static" sense line, the difference is calculated by the EEC. You said they just go into the airbox instead? Do you have a check engine light on?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No TBI .If you have a haynes manual page 6-3 illustration 3.6 is identical air box I have its supposed to be for (1990 and later 4 cyl)engines.I have 1989YJ Thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys, wanted to update on this situation.Given the limited extent of my knowledge in mechanics, and the way the PO's have jerry rigged the engine transplant, I'm taking it to the shop.I have been doing homework for a couple of days getting an understanding of the ccv system and its function. If everything was where it should be I think I would have a good chance of taking care of it. Every time I get close to putting it together the way it should be, its either missing parts or nothing is connected where it should be. THANK YOU ALL ON THIS FORUM YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts