Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like having the stock stereo in my jeep. Nobody wants to steal that thing. But a few weeks ago the cd part stopped working. It just spits the disc out and says ERR on the screen. I thought that maybe the sensor was dirty so I bought one of those cleaning discs and have probably ran it through the player 50 times with no progress.

Anyone else have this problem and were able to fix it?

Oh yeah it's a 2004 sport.

·
Wheelin' and Dealin'
1,521 Posts
I would try a can of aerosol spray air with the little red tube that you can fit in the CD slot...what's the worst that could happen? Just make sure you hold onto the tube because I had a friend who did that to his PS3 and the tube shot into it and he had to buy a new PS3

·
Registered
892 Posts
I would try a can of aerosol spray air with the little red tube that you can fit in the CD slot...what's the worst that could happen? Just make sure you hold onto the tube because I had a friend who did that to his PS3 and the tube shot into it and he had to buy a new PS3
couldnt he just open it up and take it out?

·
Wheelin' and Dealin'
1,521 Posts
jasonwrangler said:
couldnt he just open it up and take it out?
A normal person could but he didn't. Not everybody wants to ruin the warranty on their PS3

·
Brewing, Skiing & Jeeps..
549 Posts
You can get a really decent stereo that kicks the a$$ of the factory radio for like $100. It's cake to install. No one will steal that either. Probably not what you want to hear, but just a thought. :wavey:

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have had the same problem, it happens at random. it also hates Cd-Rs, Im replacing it myself.

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
I had an 05 Liberty, replaced the stereo in it once in the six months I owned it.
It's the same unit that my Rubi had in it when I bought it brand new.

Before I finally gave up I went through FOUR factory units in the Rubi. Three were replaced on warranty, the fourth I paid for.

The CD players are problem children. I personally love having a stock stereo. I like the way they fit and look as opposed to aftermarket and I like the way they work too. Much easier to find the buttons and use the controls.

That being said, I just couldn't continue replacing it once a year or more.

So FWIW, you may give it another try but my experience is that there isn't a lot of hope.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Yeah I stopped using the cd player after about a month of the ERR and couldn't play any cd's. Instead of replacing it, I just bought a fm transmitter for my Ipod. Plus the radio still works if I want to listen to something with people.

·
Brewing, Skiing & Jeeps..
549 Posts
You know another thought is to check eBay. I bet you find a stock stereo out there for like $20 tops. Those things are a dime a dozen. Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My stock unit did the same thing. I just bought a replacement stock unit off eBay. $50. Make sure to pull your radio and take pictures to compare your radio to a eBay radio. There are many out there. On the back of mine there was a spot where a threaded stud slipped in to connect the back of the radio to the dash. Not sure if that is needed, but I checked all of the pics in eBay until I found one that matched. I do have a iPod jack tied into my antenna, but I like the sound from a cd much more, it's louder.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for everyones responses. Not sure what I will do yet. I usually just listen to the radio on my commute to work, but if i ever go out of town its the ipod or cd's. (I have just come to terms that there is no radio station better than my local independently owned one.) I might just have to get a new set up. If I'm going to yank it out I'll put something aftermarket in it. I saw a new sony radio that you store your ipod it...it seems like a cool idea but it had no cd player and I would get worried that my ipod would get forever trapped inside the unit. I might look on here for a thread about stereos, I'm sure there already is one..

·
Wheelin' and Dealin'
1,521 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
This tip worked on my 05 perfectly!

My Rubi came with two discs in it when I picked it up last month. After several attempts, I got them to play. I ejected them to check their condition and from that point on, I could not get them to load back into any slot. There were scratches, so I thought the discs were the problem. I threw them out. I tried every slot with my own CDs, that I knew were in good condition and worked on other players. I could not get any disc to load into any slot on the head unit. I was ready to give up, then I tried the compressed "air" cleaner.

I pressed load, then pushed one of the disc selection button (#1). While it said load, I stuck the cleaner tube in and give it a good steady blast while moving the tube side to side across the disc slot. Did that for each disc. Load, spray, repeat... I got all 6 discs to load and play!

Must have been big clumps of dust in there preventing proper loading/playback.

I still want to get a budget aftermarket replacement for the head unit this summer, because I want to have Bluetooth playback and USB charging. But for now, a working CD unit is good enough.

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I replaced my factory radio in my 06 Rubicon with this....Much better! Bluetooth works great with it as well. Sounds great with the factory sub too. Got it all from Crutchfield. It's one of the first mods I did....I can't stand factory radios.

Attachments

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
My stock CD player also quit working quite some time ago. I suspect due to dust and dirt while playing on the trails. I replaced it with the cheapest digital media receiver that Crutchfield sold at the time. I think it was less than $50. No cd player to mess with, just am/fm, aux, and usb port for flash drives. No cd drive makes the depth footprint very small. no need for rear support. I went cheap to make sure it worked with my factory sub.
It worked so well I upgraded last year to a Pioneer Bluetooth digital media receiver. This one works with my cell phone, has a microphone, and a remote control. Still from Crutchfield, and still very inexpensive. Less than $140.
The remote is great because you can use it instead of reaching for the dash to advance your playlist, adjust volume, etc. I can also sit on my camping chair and use the remote to listen to music coming from the Jeep. Lol. Worked so good the boat got one too!

On my 2005 Altima work commuter car, I use one of those Bluetooth FM transmitters. I would loose my steering wheel stereo controls if I swapped out head units. Something I did not want to give up. It also works great and would be a good option if you don't want to swap out your stock head unit. It plugs into a 12v socket. The only drawback is that you have to switch the radio to the designated channel to talk on your phone or listen to downloaded music. Not that big of deal and way less hassle than tearing your dash apart.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts