Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 JKU 10A has about 1000 miles and gave me a CEL 0830. I have an appt with the dealer on Monday, but will lose 3 days of vacation waiting. The code is "Clutch Pedal Circuit A". Dr. internet says it may be from riding the clutch, (not impossible due to heavy traffic but seems unlikely to me). Does anyone have any knowledge of this code, it's repair, or cause? Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am having the same problem. P03830 code. I have taken it to the dealer twice already. Last time they said they replaced the switch but the light just came back on!

Brinoff, have you found a solution for your issue?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
don't rest your foot on the clutch. there is a sensor to detect that and trigger a code.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I really don't think that is the issue because I have not changed my driving style from any of the other manual transmission cars the i own ... corvette f250 wrangler. I have been driving manual tranny cars since I turned 16.
I did notice that the CEL comes on while I am shifting quickly 1-2-3-4 to get up to highway speeds, but I am certain I am not riding the clutch.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I really don't think that is the issue because I have not changed my driving style from any of the other manual transmission cars the i own ... corvette f250 wrangler. I have been driving manual tranny cars since I turned 16.
I did notice that the CEL comes on while I am shifting quickly 1-2-3-4 to get up to highway speeds, but I am certain I am not riding the clutch.
There are a few threads on this. It's not your driving skill that's in question. It's whether or not you touch the clutch pedal while driving in gear. Some people have been using it as a foot rest on the highway and it triggers that exact code. A slight pressure on the pedals is all it takes.

There is also the possibility that the clutch switch is broken. If that were the case, I believe the cruise control will not work. Also they replaced it twice. In that case, the pedal itself may be too tight. Is there play in the pedal at all? I think it's supposed to be about 1/4-1/2 inch

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well the dealer said they replaced the clutch switch last time i took it in. If they did or not, I really have no idea. The cruise control has always worked though.

I admit, I may be touching the clutch pedal slightly between shifts but if so it is very very minor. I would not think it would be so sensitive.

Could you be more specific about the "play" in the pedal and how to measure?

I appreciate your help

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Well the dealer said they replaced the clutch switch last time i took it in. If they did or not, I really have no idea. The cruise control has always worked though.

I admit, I may be touching the clutch pedal slightly between shifts but if so it is very very minor. I would not think it would be so sensitive.

Could you be more specific about the "play" in the pedal and how to measure?

I appreciate your help
I believe the cruise control would not engage if the pedal was too tight. You can feel with your finger if there's free-play. There's a zone that basically does nothing.

Touching the clutch in gear, even slightly, will eventually trigger that code. There is a sensor that is designed to kill the cruise control if the clutch is even slightly touched (makes sense because they don't want the cruise to ping the rev limiter when you shift with the cruise control engaged).

That sensor input also triggers a code that lets them know the clutch is slightly depressed. Depressing the clutch, even slightly, pushes the throwout bearing against the pressure plate and causes the bearing to spin. Normally, this isn't a big deal, but the throwout bearing on our JKs is notoriously weak, so this is warning to take your foot off the pedal.

Don't even hold the clutch in at stop lights unless you're stopped for less than 10 seconds. These throw out bearings are terrible.

Try changing that habit and see if the code goes away. [disclaimer - i could be completely wrong :)]

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey guys I just bought a brand new jk unlimited 2014 5 days ago and same code popped up... I don't know if its major or anything but does anyone know if this can lead to other problems as well? I'm just super upset that this is happening when I haven't even had the jeep for more than a week

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Hey guys I just bought a brand new jk unlimited 2014 5 days ago and same code popped up... I don't know if its major or anything but does anyone know if this can lead to other problems as well? I'm just super upset that this is happening when I haven't even had the jeep for more than a week
My wife got this code today. Time for a dreaded trip to the dealership. Ugh its like walking into the lion's den except instead of lions its a bunch of drooling retarded sheep.

Maybe I'll give it a few days to go away on its own.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Other than going to a dealership and getting destroyed with charges and time, does anyone know any other fixes other than what is mentioned? Will it truly effect my cruise control?

I'll test out the cruise control soon to see though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got this code this morning.

How did you guys end up solving the issue? Did it go away on its own if you stopped riding the clutch? (Assuming its not a faulty switch)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts