Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In one of the frequent leak threads on WF, http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/2010-unlimited-leak-help-135414.html#post1967611, fellow Jeeper Celtic posted his breakthrough leak detection method:

Guys, it really is not that hard to find the source of the leak. Just mix up a half bucket of Jeep wash triple strength. Start up your Jeep and close all the windows and doors, turn the blower motor on high ….

Soap up the outside of the Jeep. The bubbles will show where the water is getting in. If there are no bubbles on the upper body, then do the firewall, outside under floorpan, etc.

It works great! And is the first step anybody with a leak should take to help track down the source!

Here’s a photo of Celtic’s technique in action:

Untitled.jpg

I think air is supposed to escape there, but it's a good example of how well this method works to show where air can escape, and thus, where water can get in.

I just used a little dish soap in about 2 cups of water, like you would looking for a leak in a gas line, and poured it on the freedom top seams and door seams. (Rinse afterwards!)

I’ve been trying to encourage the originator of this great leak location technique to post a thread on it. I guess he hasn’t been able to do it yet, so I just barged right in to try to steal a little credit for passing his idea on to others with leaks… :D

Again, credit for this technique goes entirely to Celtic! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Now that's good stuff! :thumb:

Thanks for passing the info along, UHB. And thanks for the ingenious leak ID method, Celtic.

Hopefully I'll never have to use it. :)

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I did this and my JKU ended up inside the bubble and is currently flying across the northwest coast skyline!

Kidding aside, a great method. Thanks to Celtic for the info and Bill for speading it.

Bob K.

·
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bout time you posted that UHB. Been talking bout it enough :p

:thumb: :thumb: and :thumb:

Kudos to Celtic :appl:
Hey, posted the thread a week ago. Just wanted to wait a decent time to see if Celtic wanted to do it.

Yer a bit slow there, friend.... :rofl:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the notoriety and kudos. Honestly, I would have done what was asked of me but I have a medical recovery issue going on and have not even driven "Peej" since the beginning of December.

Again, thanks for getting it out there for the rest of the forum to see. I have been using that method over 35 years. It was taught to me by a GM Fisher Body Training Engineer to detect leaks on the C3 Corvettes.

·
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the notoriety and kudos. Honestly, I would have done what was asked of me but I have a medical recovery issue going on and have not even driven "Peej" since the beginning of December.

Again, thanks for getting it out there for the rest of the forum to see. I have been using that method over 35 years. It was taught to me by a GM Fisher Body Training Engineer to detect leaks on the C3 Corvettes.
Thanks for passing it on to us!

Hope all goes well with your medical issues, and you can get out and enjoy your Peej soon. :thumb:

Hope it was OK to steal your thunder.... :hide:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts