Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned that the 12v plug in the center console is not switched, meaning that it is on all the time even when engine is off. Im bummed because I wanted to keep my garmin charged in there, but now Im worried that it will drain my battery. I know this is a first world problem, but Any solutions to this?

·
Registered
524 Posts
The easiest way is probably to wire it into the dash power outlet if you don't mind splicing into your wiring. Or get the Power Tap from Quadratec and locate a harness for the console outlet, run the wires, and all your factory wiring is intact.

The fuse is 20A so even if you conservatively limit yourself to 10A total, it's still enough juice to charge a tablet, a phone and a GPS on each socket.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was wondering the same because I routed my Sirius xm radio to that plug so I didn't have any wires hanging out but just sucks I have to disconnect it and reconnect it every time i get in ... first world problems

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
What i did is run some 16 gauge wires from the batter through the firewall hole(the one thats even with the dash) and bought one of those 12volt sockets with the wires attached already .pepboys sells them $9.99 pluged gps into that and hid the wire and plug behind the passenger side glove box speaker area. I hate to see wires.as long as you are driving the the jeep every couple days you wont drain your battery

·
Registered
698 Posts
I can't recall if the center console and/or the cargo area port have a selectable full time or keyed fuse. But one or both may have that. The behavior can be changed by moving the fuse over.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
It has both. The one on the center dash is switched and the one under the arm rest is not. It comes in handy for things you want running without the key like supplemental braking when towing it.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't recall if the center console and/or the cargo area port have a selectable full time or keyed fuse. But one or both may have that. The behavior can be changed by moving the fuse over.
You may be on to something here. Can i change the one under the armrest into a switched power source by swapping the fuse with the 12v power pug in the lower dash? Do you know which ones to swap??

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
You may be on to something here. Can i change the one under the armrest into a switched power source by swapping the fuse with the 12v power pug in the lower dash? Do you know which ones to swap??
Are you asking...... if you swap the fuses. Will that make the normally live one off and the switched one to become live all the time?

If so.....NO it will not.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you asking...... if you swap the fuses. Will that make the normally live one off and the switched one to become live all the time? If so.....NO it will not.
Ok. I guess that was just wishful thinking then. Darn.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. The M7 fuse for the outlet in the cargo area is the one that I was thinking of. It is the fuse that is selectable by changing it's position.

I actually found that out accidentally when I installed my crusher flares and had to add an led side marker.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Revisiting this topic again. Is there any way to rewire the 12v plug in the center console storage box to one of the blank switched slots in the fuse box? For example, I have empty slots for where the stock heated seat fuses would have gone. Can I rewire things to have the 12v plug to draw through one of those fuses? I'm obviously a newb to this. Forgive my ignorance.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Revisiting this topic again. Is there any way to rewire the 12v plug in the center console storage box to one of the blank switched slots in the fuse box? For example, I have empty slots for where the stock heated seat fuses would have gone. Can I rewire things to have the 12v plug to draw through one of those fuses? I'm obviously a newb to this. Forgive my ignorance.
Easiest way to confirm is to test with a multimeter. I think this is probably the easiest solution:

The easiest way is probably to wire it into the dash power outlet if you don't mind splicing into your wiring. Or get the Power Tap from Quadratec and locate a harness for the console outlet, run the wires, and all your factory wiring is intact.

The fuse is 20A so even if you conservatively limit yourself to 10A total, it's still enough juice to charge a tablet, a phone and a GPS on each socket.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I believe they made this outlet constant power because so many folks put a CB or HAM radio in the console. Many radios need a little bit of power all the time so they don't forget their programming. (Favorite channels, etc).

I agree that it is kind of annoying when you use it for something else.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Simple
Use the other outlet up front. One is switched, one is not.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Have they changed things since the 2010 outlets? I know in my JK the outlet nearest to the driver is on/off with the vehicle while the one on the passengers side is always on. I'll leave my phone plugged into the always on side overnight while camping to charge it back up.

·
Registered
23,965 Posts
I am in no way liable for this mod.. if you decide to do so, it's all on you. so check your work. If your poop burns to the ground, it isn't my fault..

This is what I came up with on my 2014 JKU.

Pic #1. is the under hood fuse box (Duh).. Fuses are labeled as to where they go.

Pic #2. shows input and output sides of said fuses, and if constant hot or not.

Pic #2, also shows what I did with a jumper wire. to verify if the power outlet in the console can be switched with the key.

The sub/rear outlet (M7) is switchable from a constant hot (right position), to a not (left position, now keyed). by moving said fuse. By removing the M36 (center console) fuse, and running a a jumper wire to the switched side of the M7 slot, To the output side of the M36 fuse slot. The CC outlet is now in a keyed position.

The jumper wire is for the purpose of info, and showing what I did to get it to work. If you decide to build this.... I highly recommend using some sort of an inline fuse. The ends are on you, but might be possible to use the mini blade style fuse taps without the fuse. Connect the wires from the inline fuse to the taps, then insert said tap into the proper locations. shrink boot/tape up any exposed unused areas on wires and taps..

Again... I am not liable for you building this. Just saying, it appears it can be done. hell, I'm a moron. and I did it.

In case I didn't say it already... Liable, I am not. for you possibly burning (had to say it) your sh!t down .

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I'm not a fan of having wires hanging out and it seems easier to manage when the power source is in the console.
It isn't so bad,
I have a USB cord that snakes out (there are indentations on both sides of the lid so that you can run wires out. When I get into the Jeep, I plug my my phone up and set it in the little space right in front of the parking brake.

But on a side note, not sure if it is wise for the OP to keep his GPS in his vehicle "in sight". (I'm assuming it is parked in a garage at night at least).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts