Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I've got a 2000 Jeep and when I got it the lock to the center console was broken so I've been looking into getting a new one where can I find one that comes with a key (or do i have to a key made for the lock) because most I find have only the lock. Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The console lock in my TJ is the same as the ignition, which is why when I sold the console I did not include a key. That's probably why none come with keys, at least that you can find.

As in, you likely won't "find one" so "make one" would be my choice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I picked up a keyed console latch from my local junkyard and my key worked in it. They might be generic to TJ keys and not a specific ignition key or I got lucky.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I wouldn't get too worried about a lock... the factory console lid wouldn't even slow a thief down.

If you want to lock anything look into aftermarket solutions like tuffy stuff

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Gottagofast is spot on ; console lock is useless .

Gottagofast is exactly correct ; console and console lock are useless . Tuffy is a good alternative , and I am a chain and padlock guy . I even have a chain connected to the floor and then wrapped around the steering spokes , and then padlocked , to secure the Jeep itself . ( Hope I don't lose the key .) :bop:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts