Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a set of these about 3 months ago and have been very impressed. My toe was out of spec and I drove it that way for way too long - tires developed cupping and general uneven wear and combined with off-road use became impossible to keep balanced.

I could immediately tell the difference after installation. They're not magic and won't undo serious uneven wear, but they will definitely keep the wheel assembly balanced. After several thousand miles, I have noticed the unevenness has reduced and gas mileage has even slightly improved.

I have heard there can be clearance issues with stock JK axles, although if you're using spacers or other axles you should be good. Definitely worth looking at for 35"+ tires. They're constructed from aluminum.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I purchased a set of these about 3 months ago and have been very impressed. My toe was out of spec and I drove it that way for way too long - tires developed cupping and general uneven wear and combined with off-road use became impossible to keep balanced.

I could immediately tell the difference after installation. They're not magic and won't undo serious uneven wear, but they will definitely keep the wheel assembly balanced. After several thousand miles, I have noticed the unevenness has reduced and gas mileage has even slightly improved.

I have heard there can be clearance issues with stock JK axles, although if you're using spacers or other axles you should be good. Definitely worth looking at for 35"+ tires. They're constructed from aluminum.
I used these years back on a Toyota 4x4. They worked well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do the brake calipers cross the plane of the wheel hub mounting surface on the stock axles?

When they shipped the balancers to me, they came with two "A" balancers and two "B" balancers. I put the "A"s on the rear and the "B"s on the front. The instructions said to use whichever version had better clearance on the front axle and the other on the rear. They can also be oriented on the hub whatever way works better. I could have used either. The "A" balancer is completely flat on one side (see pic above) so if the caliper doesn't cross the plane of the hub mounting surface it should fit if you had a wheel with sufficient offset.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's probably a lot of variation in what will fit. My wheels have +18mm of offset that works out to 5.71" of backspace. I would think that negative offset (less backspacing) would actually be more likely to fit, although if you were right at 0mm it might be a problem depending on the wheel. As long as the caliper doesn't come past the hub mounting plane, all you need is clearance for the balancing ring inside the wheel. I'll measure mine and post it's diameter.

Total lift is approximately 3.5". As far as my springs, they're progressive. They're actually the 2.5" lift springs from an AEV lift with 1" spacers added - only thing left from that lift on the Jeep. I've been a fan of the AEV springs for their versatility. There's better suited springs out there for very technical trails, but I still drive the Jeep on road a lot and tow occasionally and they're great for that and still do well even on difficult trails.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts