Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a new owner of a wrangler (TJ) sport (4.0)...As winter is knocking on the door I spent most of Saturday cleaning out the garage to pull the Jeep in and give it a good once over. The list is long, but thought I would start with a new battery and bat. cable ends....Once the new battery was in I went to hook it up and found out their is an alarm, and its going off as soon as I hook up the battery. It was kinda late so I did not play around much. Anybody have any ideas as how to stop it from going off, or better yet...take it out. Looks like a Auto start/alarm in one, and I am afraid of just taking it out or cutting the wires to the speaker. I have heard they can lock up the vehical and you can't start them after. I had no idea it had any of this when I bought it....I have nothing but a key to start the jeep. I have to figure something out on this....as it is I can't drive it as all. Thanks, 3ft

·
Administrator
12,562 Posts
Start tracing wires and find out what unit you have in there.. Then if you can find a name,go to web site get directions and remove it. OR call company. I would guess it has an inline fuse some place, or a manual off wire or switch, look for those as well.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,001 Posts
It's safe to cut one of the two wires going to the speaker, but you're right that an alarm can cause the vehicle not to start so only cut one (or both) of the speaker wires. I'd have a competent alarm shop remove that alarm since tehy are usually more trouble than they are worth, as yours is now proving.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wasn't as bad as I thought...had Monday night football on the tv, beer on the work bench...and started tracing wires...in a couple hours had the alarm laying on the floor. Had to fix a few wires they spliced into the ignition...but the alarm is out, the jeep starts & runs, and new battery and stereo installed. found out it was a viper...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts