Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question.... my 2010 Jk has 60k miles.. I'm using
5-20 synthetic oil... Going by the owners Manuel... Before I hit 3 thousand miles my light went on.. I think it's too thin... Any of you guys switched to a thicker oil????

·
Registered
165 Posts
What light went on? I have been running 5W20 in vehicles since 2006 with no issues. I was skeptical at first but it works and holds up fine. If you live where it is really hot just change to 5W30. It wont hurt.

·
Registered
858 Posts
OP, if you're really concerned, send an aliquot off to Blackstone Labs for a used oil analysis. They can tell you if there's any unusual wear or contaminants in your oil or if your oil is good to go for another 2,000 miles or more. Think of a UOA as getting labwork done during your annual physical. It can tell you what's going on inside the engine before it becomes catastrophic and costly to fix.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I use 5W30 in my 10 with no issues. It's up to you whether you want to change the oil when the oil change indicator goes off, before, or later. You can re-set it. If the "oil" light went on make sure you check the level. Some 3.8's use some oil. You should check it on a regular basis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts