Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone actually waited until it comes on? I changed mine at 1800 and 6100 and intentionally didn't reset just to see WHEN it wuld come on. 6200 still no light. My previous vehicle (2007 Impala SS) would still show 40% left at 5-6k miles. That was mostly highway driving. My Jeep is more 50-50.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine just came on when I hit 4700 miles. I'm at 5000 now and I need to change it here in the next week or two. I look at the oil, it's not black or anything.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I only have 2400 miles on it. Hopefully it doesn't come on for another 3000 or so miles. On my previous car (Acura) I could drive between 10,000 and 15,000 miles. I guess it depends how you drive your Jeep.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I'll never even know if mine works. I change the oil every 3K.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Between my 11 and 12 combined, I've put 25000 miles on, and I've seen the change oil message one time. Don't trust it! 5k changes and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Between my 11 and 12 combined, I've put 25000 miles on, and I've seen the change oil message one time. Don't trust it! 5k changes and don't worry about it.
I'm going to go 5-6k and run synthetic. Was just kind of curious as to how long it would before it would come on.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I wait till the light comes on and also monitor the mileage on the trip odometer (trip A for tire rotation mileage and trip B for oil change). The Jeep has 100,000 mile power train warranty and my dealer service writer says wait till it comes on. I used to do changes every 3,000 on every vehicle including diesels but finally decided many people had there oil assessed by labs and read enough articles to debunk the 3,000 mile bs.

I'll let ya know how that works out. Plus My Jeep runs at high altitude, mountain passes, desert conditions, wheeling trips, and I tow all while in the above conditions too. The computer factors it all in as it did on my 6.7 liter diesel. I have three reminders/safeguards in place:

- computer
- Trip odometer
- window sticker oil change reminder HA

If the engine fails, I have a warranty and followed the advice of the service manager (I will take accountability and not blame the service managers recommendation or blame the computer). If that backfires I'll just get a new Jeep. Should be a true test of this engine and computer!?!

It's probably not the route most would go, but its my road.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Mine's at 7,300 with no message yet. I think it will probably go the full 8,000 mile recommended maximum oil change mileage before it comes on. I did my own change at 5,000 miles but I didn't reset the monitor just to see how long it would go. I drive it really gently and no short trips so I guessed it might go the full distance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My reminder message came on at approx. 7500 miles last week. Went to Jiffy Lube and they wanted $90 for a synthetic oil change, so I'll have to do it myself this weekend. I let the free oil change coupon from my dealer expire and regretting it now :banghead:.

·
Registered
531 Posts
With all the head issues out there I wouldn't even chance the oil going more than 2k miles (non synthetic of course). And muddybruce, please don't bring your jeep to jiffy lube.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Syn oil changed at 5k... Doubt ill ever see that light

·
Registered
243 Posts
Mine's at 7,300 with no message yet. I think it will probably go the full 8,000 mile recommended maximum oil change mileage before it comes on. I did my own change at 5,000 miles but I didn't reset the monitor just to see how long it would go. I drive it really gently and no short trips so I guessed it might go the full distance.
if you did your own oil change at 5000k the light shouldn't come on until the sensor determines the need. Could be many miles beyond 8000k.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Weird....mine has come on twice. The first was close to 3500 miles and the second at 7100. I haven't been that had it her either.

·
Registered
182 Posts
if you did your own oil change at 5000k the light shouldn't come on until the sensor determines the need. Could be many miles beyond 8000k.
I don't believe there is any "sensor" in the system. It just counts revs and applies weighting factors for short trips, etc.

·
Registered
122 Posts

It's probably not the route most would go, but its my road.
I'm more of a 3k guy, it's just the way I've always done it. I feel like I'm keeping fresh, clean oil in the engine.
That being said, COStrider... I like your quote! ... and I'm gonna steal it. :D That could be used in many situations.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I'll never even know if mine works. I change the oil every 3K.
3k? check out money bags over here. Regular conventional oil doesn't come close to breaking down for at least 5k. Changing your oil sooner than that interval is just a waste of money and environmentally/patriotically irresponsible. We need to conserve and use less oil. Do your part KB and change your oil at 5k!

·
Registered
243 Posts
3k? check out money bags over here. Regular conventional oil doesn't come close to breaking down for at least 5k. Changing your oil sooner than that interval is just a waste of money and environmentally/patriotically irresponsible. We need to conserve and use less oil. Do your part KB and change your oil at 5k!
Or more if you use Mobil1.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts