Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys..

When i started the car this morning it showed "change oil" on the computer.. i did the service on time tho and still around 7k km for the next service.

I check the oil. It's to the max and new. So what could be the problem? Help pls.

"JK 2014"

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Was it reset after last oil change? If not, now it thinks its time. Doesn't actually monitor the oil, monitors the miles and driving. Or it may just be giving you hell because you are calling your Jeep a car, and it doesn't like that.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
There is no problem just re-set the oil change message. Check your manual on how to re-set it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
if you have evic. i think you can re-set it there. if not then, turn the key to the on position (do not start) . Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.then back to the lock position. finally cycle the key and the light should go off

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was it reset after last oil change? If not, now it thinks its time. Doesn't actually monitor the oil, monitors the miles and driving. Or it may just be giving you hell because you are calling your Jeep a car, and it doesn't like that.

Oops!! My fault :(
It's not a car! It's a jeep thing ;)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Doesn't actually monitor the oil, monitors the miles and driving.
So it only goes off based on mileage? I know with GM and the C5 Corvettes, it uses several factors in the monitor algorithm and not just mileage. And it's a very accurate system.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
So it only goes off based on mileage? I know with GM and the C5 Corvettes, it uses several factors in the monitor algorithm and not just mileage. And it's a very accurate system.
No. It's a "duty" based system which uses an algorithm. Plus, it's only a recommendation. Depending upon what year JK and whether it has a 3.8 or 3.6 there are certain time specifications and maximum mileage requirements. In addition, severe duty is also a factor.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Not totally sure exactly what it calculates, but miles and driving habits/usage is factored in. I guess I was mainly pointing out it isn't physically monitoring the actual oil inside the motor. It was explained a little more in the above post.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just change the oil when my 3.8 burns out all the old oil, saves me from having to drain it :D. Seriously though my wifes liberty has had the change oil come on literally a day after changing, pretty sure it's just a mileage thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you have evic. i think you can re-set it there. if not then, turn the key to the on position (do not start) . Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.then back to the lock position. finally cycle the key and the light should go off

It worked xD

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just change the oil when my 3.8 burns out all the old oil, saves me from having to drain it :D. Seriously though my wifes liberty has had the change oil come on literally a day after changing, pretty sure it's just a mileage thing.

Turned out a mileage thing, true..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So anyway it's not a big deal right? I did the rest thingy n it's gone now..

N btw i had an accident same day with my jeep.. :(

·
Registered
344 Posts
So is it going to be like the seatbelts, it will ding when it thinks the oil needs changed? Is this a 1x thing, as in, you just bought a new jeep and the oil was never changed, so service the engine and change the oil? I ask this because I have been following the dealers recommendation to keep my warranty square, every 3000 miles or 6 months, this time I have not and I'm well, well over the threshold, recommended 20,000 miles and I'm pushing 24,000... I'm getting nervous the dealer is going to record the late oil change and nail me when my AB head goes bad. I have never experienced the oil change light go off.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
That is NOT the recommended interval for your Jeep. Read the manual. Different years had different recommendations. You mention the AB head, so I assume you have a Pentastar. In 2012 the book said 8,000 miles. Now it's up to 10,000 miles, but I'm not sure what 2013 was. If you're at 20,000 you're really pushing your luck and risking major internal damage. CHANGE YOUR OIL THIS WEEK. If you're lucky it'll pour out and still look like engine oil, rather than looking like the crap that washes up on shore after a spill at sea. Your oil may be breaking down at this age and turning to sludge (search google for pictures of what this can look like...you're at the mileage where it happens), and your filter may be clogged to the point that it's not doing anything anymore.

You don't have to go to a dealer for oil changes to maintain your warranty, either. But really at this point, I'd be a lot more worried about cam or bearing failure than a new head...bearings will cost you a lot more and basically require a complete engine rebuild or replacement.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hello guys..

When i started the car this morning it showed "change oil" on the computer.. i did the service on time tho and still around 7k km for the next service.

I check the oil. It's to the max and new. So what could be the problem? Help pls.

"JK 2014"

Funny.... I just had my oil changed on my 2013 JK on Friday and yesterday it started showing me that message on the info system under the speedometer.

What's the reset procedure? Thanks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts