Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 2003 Rubicon re-geared over the summer and was told to replace the gear oil after about 6k miles so that was the plan this weekend. I did lots of research on the topic and felt pretty good going into this project. I did not really have any issues except I did not end up using near as much gear oil as I had anticipated. I was expecting almost 2 qts for the front and about 2 qts for the rear. The front used about 1.75 qts and the rear was about 1.5 qts so I am a little paranoid now. I have stock diff covers and filled them until the gear oil started to come out the fill hole as everyone has said to do. I guess I need a little reassurance that I am OK and not going to screw something up. I used Royal Purple 75W-140, I know that I could have stayed with the dino but I run the synthetic motor oil.

Also, I had a VERY strange thing happen after I was done with the gear oil change that has me completely freaked out. I went to back the TJ out of the garage and the front lockers were engaged (the light was flashing) but I was not in 4LO and i did NOT engage the lockers. I put the jeep in 4LO and after a bit if forward/reverse got the lockers off and things back to normal. I thought you had to be in 4LO for the lockers to be engaged and I know the switch was not hit by accident as it has NEVER happened before. Is my TJ just possessed or what?
Thanks for the help and information folks!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
6k miles to replace the gear oil after a gear change is a lot. Most shops give you a free change after 500 miles. Anyways as long as it poured out of the fill hole you are good to go. BTW, your Jeep calls for 80w90 conventional in the front.

I'm not too sure what happened with the locker. I know that if you tighten the fill plug too tight on the rear It can cause issues but I have never heard of the problem you are experiencing.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,627 Posts
If the fill holes started overflowing as you filled them, the housing is filled properly. Just make darned sure not to overtighten the fill plugs. If they are overtightened, they can be positioned so far in that they run into the lockers inside which can damage them.

Can't say why the front locker said it was engaged.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a little checking on the lockers and the manual does indeed say you have to be in 4LO to engage them. I tried to engage them this morning in 2WD and nothing so I guess that is good. They appear to be working so not sure why changing the gear oil did anything but I will chalk it up to the gremlins, hope I don't see them again!

Thanks for all the help and information, I feel a lot better now!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts